Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HIV Fear

HIV Fear

Hi everyone.

I've been doing pretty well for ages. I function normally now and I have a good job and most people wouldn't guess I had issues.

Right now I do have an HIV fear though, and I've been doing a lot of research.

So, I had unprotected sex with a man a couple of months ago. He showed me his STI test results from July and he was clear for everything.

The last time he had sex (he says) was 6 weeks prior to getting tested. Would the HIV test result be accurate after 6 weeks?

In the acute phase of infection, HIV transmission risk is I believe about 5% or maybe less if you have vaginal sex once.

Also, we used the withdrawal method, and I know that there is less HIV virus in precum than ejaculate.

However, about 6 weeks after I slept with him I had some HIV symptoms. I had malaise, a bit of a sore throat, and slightly aching muscles. I did not have a fever or a rash. The symptoms lasted about 2 weeks.

I've been stalking him a bit on social media and he's been posting loads and seems normal which I don't imagine he would be if he'd just found out he had HIV. I know he gets tested fairly regularly.

I'm going to be tested soon, but I'm very anxious. What is my risk level? Do you think I have HIV? Please be honest.

Re: HIV Fear

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Hi everyone.

I've been doing pretty well for ages. I function normally now and I have a good job and most people wouldn't guess I had issues.

Right now I do have an HIV fear though, and I've been doing a lot of research.

So, I had unprotected sex with a man a couple of months ago. He showed me his STI test results from July and he was clear for everything.

The last time he had sex (he says) was 6 weeks prior to getting tested. Would the HIV test result be accurate after 6 weeks?

In the acute phase of infection, HIV transmission risk is I believe about 5% or maybe less if you have vaginal sex once.

Also, we used the withdrawal method, and I know that there is less HIV virus in precum than ejaculate.

However, about 6 weeks after I slept with him I had some HIV symptoms. I had malaise, a bit of a sore throat, and slightly aching muscles. I did not have a fever or a rash. The symptoms lasted about 2 weeks.

I've been stalking him a bit on social media and he's been posting loads and seems normal which I don't imagine he would be if he'd just found out he had HIV. I know he gets tested fairly regularly.

I'm going to be tested soon, but I'm very anxious. What is my risk level? Do you think I have HIV? Please be honest.
    If you were worried about HIV why didn't you use protection? You had unprotected sex, which there is always a risk. You won't know you have HIV till you get tested.

Quote Originally Posted by utrocket09 View Post
    If you were worried about HIV why didn't you use protection? You had unprotected sex, which there is always a risk. You won't know you have HIV till you get tested.
    I already know I made a mistake and that there is always a risk. Very aware of that already! That wasn't what I was asking.

Not one person on here that fears HIV has got it so I think you are one of those too.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Not one person on here that fears HIV has got it so I think you are one of those too.
    Thank you, I hope so. I think about 0.2% of people in the UK have HIV and most of them are homosexual and already know they have it. So the chances of him having it are small.

If he does have it, it must have been in the acute phase which means transmission is more likely. Even so, from one act of vaginal sex the transmission rate is less than 5% I believe. Hopefully even less than that, since he didn't ejaculate inside me.

So the chances are very low. The symptoms I had really worried me, though. I've never had symptoms like that before.

I'm getting tested next week but I'm so scared.

Firstly The Duo Test =Combo Test = P24 AG/Ab test, simultaneously tests for the HIV P 24 Antigen and the HIV antibody. The HIV antigen can be detected 3-6 weeks post exposure. The HIV antibody is 95% accurate after 4 weeks and 99% accurate after 6 weeks, 100% at 3 months. Considering this test tests both antigen and antibody, it would be extremely accurate very early on between 3-6 weeks.

Secondly, most people don't have much of an early immune response to the HIV virus, so symptoms are an unreliable predictor of anything.

Thirdly, you seem to be make a habit of having unprotected sex as this is one time of many. I suggest carrying condoms in your bag or phone cover so you have quick access if you want to have sex.
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 02-10-19 at 21:32.

The real question here is does the dude carry around his STI results like some sort of driving licence?

I must be getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Firstly The Duo Test =Combo Test = P24 AG/Ab test, simultaneously tests for the HIV P 24 Antigen and the HIV antibody. The HIV antigen can be detected 3-6 weeks post exposure. The HIV antibody is 95% accurate after 4 weeks and 99% accurate after 6 weeks, 100% at 3 months. Considering this test tests both antigen and antibody, it would be extremely accurate very early on between 3-6 weeks.

Secondly, most people don't have much of an early immune response to the HIV virus, so symptoms are an unreliable predictor of anything.

Thirdly, you seem to be make a habit of having unprotected sex as this is one time of many. I suggest carrying condoms in your bag or phone cover so you have quick access if you want to have sex.
    Well, I've done it twice. Not including my ex - I did have unprotected sex with him because I wanted children. I've only had sex on 6 occasions in the last 2 years, so not exactly active! I never really want to, I just feel like I have to give some of the men I date a chance in case I could actually like them. I'm sure eventually I'll find one I like 🙂

That's good, sounds like 6 weeks would be accurate then. Unless he's lying, of course, but I hope he wouldn't do that.

I'll update once I have my results.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    The real question here is does the dude carry around his STI results like some sort of driving licence?

I must be getting old.
    Your results get texted to you 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    I never really want to, I just feel like I have to give some of the men I date a chance in case I could actually like them. I'm sure eventually I'll find one I like 
    This sounds like you are having sex with men to keep them happy - I may have that wrong

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information