Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Restless and agitated on quetiapine

Re: Restless and agitated on quetiapine

Quote Originally Posted by Jo79 View Post
    Treatment resistant depression and anxiety and OCD has also been suggested. This is my fifth and longest episode in 10 years (i’ve been unwell since January)

I was on 200mg sertraline and 15mg mirtazapine since 2017. I increased the mirtazapine to 30mg in January and changed sertraline to escitalopram in April. Was feeling great for two months but crashed again so stopped the escitalopram and have been taking venlafaxine since July, increased to 225mg in August but didn’t get much response (The odd day of euphoria) so added the quetiapine in October. I’ve had some reasonable periods of stability, maybe a week to 10 days at a time but then going downhill again for 2-3 weeks.
    I wonder why a TCA isn't being considered instead of antipsychotics and anticonvulsants. For example, clomipramine (Anafranil) has the best track record for OCD, is the most powerful SNRI on the market and is, imho, a better bet than what you're on, or is proposed. Plus, I think it's way too early to apply the 'treatment-resistant' label when just 2 ADs from the same class and another which is arguably not much different have failed.

Thanks PDU, i’m seeing the NHS psychiatrist on Tuesday so will ask about the TCA’s. It will be good just to get a second opinion on the meds but apparently the NHS psych is a good friend of the private one so I’m hoping that doesn’t influence any decision ��.
    Increased to 200 last night and I feel extremely agitated today

Sorry to hear you're feeling agitated Jo. Quetiapine increases do that to me too, although I've found its less pronounced at higher doses. Good luck with the NHS psychiatrist x

Increased to 200 last night and I feel extremely agitated today
    That is the irony of most psych meds, they all too often trigger the very symptoms they are supposed to treat at the beginning and after dose increases.

That's probably why psychiatrists struggle to treat anxiety with medication.

The agitation has its positives though, the last few weeks I’ve felt depressed and no motivation to do anything so I’m very behind on getting ready for Christmas. These last couple of days I’ve been charging around like the Duracell bunny on speed 🤪

I agree that agitation can be used positively. I couldn't get through my daily workload without it.

Good luck with seeing the NHS psychiatrist.. Are you expecting a different diagnosis?

Thanks all, just got back from my appointment. Diagnosis hasn’t changed but she doesn’t agree with adding Lamotragine to the mix or changing anything as I still have two meds that aren’t at maximum dose yet. She has suggested I increase my venlafaxine to 300mg first and see her again at the end if January. I can’t say I’m overly keen at the thought as the last time I increased venlafaxine was horrendous but I’m hoping the quetiapine will make it a bit easier this time

Diagnosis hasn’t changed but she doesn’t agree with adding Lamotragine to the mix or changing anything as I still have two meds that aren’t at maximum dose yet.
    That seems the better option, imho. As someone who only responds to ADs at, or over, the recommended maximum doses I think a med shouldn't be discarded without maxing it out first if possible.

the last time I increased venlafaxine was horrendous but I’m hoping the quetiapine will make it a bit easier this time
    No guarantees, but quetiapine may take the edge off.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information