Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zapped of energy and motivation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zapped of energy and motivation

Hi folks, I've avoided this place for a while as it helps my mental health somewhat to not spend so much time here.

I've been facing some ups and downs recently and could do with some advice. I am lacking motivation and I can't muster the energy or desire to get motivated. I have weeks like this, but then I'll have weeks where it's the opposite and I'm very productive. Is this normal to expect?

The past 2 days I've done nothing. Sat on my bed doing nothing. I've tried to make music, I've tried cleaning, I've tried doing something I enjoy. But there is no enjoyment in anything. There's no suicidal thoughts, and there's no feelings of not wanting to live. Just a feeling of flatness.

Before that I was managing to exercise and write some scripts for some up coming video's I'm putting together. But now there's nothing.

What do I do during these times? Do I just ride with it and not try to force myself to do things? I do notice I eventually break out of these phases but I don't know how or when. Hopefully it's tomorrow.

It really sucks because I have a solid business plan to attempt to make money on youtube teaching programming and music. The idea is to collect YouTube revenue from adverts in the long run which will hopefully put me on track to make an income and get of these damned benefits. But I can't get the energy to do it.

Down days suck.

I'm not insane. Everybody else is.

Re: Zapped of energy and motivation

Hi Wired
    I've been like that for ages.
    I could do things that I enjoy but just can't be bothered.
    Please let me know if you find an answer.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I donít know, sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with everything I have to do that I just sit instead, procrastinating and demotivated. Iím not really sure what gets me up - usually necessity or hunger . Sometimes you just have to try something new instead, a change of scenery etc.

I feel like this too. Like every minute is torture and have no motivation to do anything.

Are any of you taking medication?

I guess we just have to say to ourselves that we got better before so we will again- there is no reason why we shouldnít get better each time. It just feels like hell on earth whilst you are going through it.

That's what the depression I went through after my 1st heart attack was like. I sat in the house, blinds drawn on sunny days and did nothing. Fortunately, I recognized what was going on as you do. I went to the doctor who prescribed meds and I sought therapy. Also, I had a friend who recognized it and forced me to get out, rain or shine. We would meet and walk 2-3 miles every morning. Having that accountability made a huge difference.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Glad I'm not alone. And yeah I'm on medications. Effexor and diazepam. Today is still a bad day but I got up and cleaned. I've been an agitated heated mess all day. I feel like a complete wreck in my head but I'm hanging in there. It'll pass, I know it will.

@Fishmanpa solid advice. Except, I'm still awaiting treatment for the agoraphobia. It makes me feel like such a loser that I'm effectively trapped indoors.

In my worst times of depression, I had to put motivational signs around my house to even get out of bed. I had to put a sign on the ceiling above the bed telling me to do it. It was that bad. I would lie there for days if possible, call into work as many times as I had sick days left, and just wallow in my misery. No showering, eating at odd times, just getting up to go to the bathroom, and then I'd be back into bed.

I'm going to echo what FMP said: therapy, meds, support system. I did all the same things.

You don't need to wait for treatment for agoraphobia...agoraphobia is pretty much just really bad combo of depression and anxiety. Agoraphobia is what you get to when your depression and anxiety get THAT BAD. Trust me, I was agoraphobic for awhile there in my bad days. If you start treating your depression, it will help the agoraphobia as well. There is therapy online. There are self-help books. I've heard you tell of a spouse that can help you stay accountable. You have a dog that needs walks...even if its around the house. Meds can come by mail or have the spouse pick them up. The excuses are the depression talking.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    In my worst times of depression, I had to put motivational signs around my house to even get out of bed. I had to put a sign on the ceiling above the bed telling me to do it. It was that bad. I would lie there for days if possible, call into work as many times as I had sick days left, and just wallow in my misery. No showering, eating at odd times, just getting up to go to the bathroom, and then I'd be back into bed.

I'm going to echo what FMP said: therapy, meds, support system. I did all the same things.

You don't need to wait for treatment for agoraphobia...agoraphobia is pretty much just really bad combo of depression and anxiety. Agoraphobia is what you get to when your depression and anxiety get THAT BAD. Trust me, I was agoraphobic for awhile there in my bad days. If you start treating your depression, it will help the agoraphobia as well. There is therapy online. There are self-help books. I've heard you tell of a spouse that can help you stay accountable. You have a dog that needs walks...even if its around the house. Meds can come by mail or have the spouse pick them up. The excuses are the depression talking.
    Thank you for sharing AntsyVee. It's helpful to know that others have been here. I feel you're spot on with the agorophobia. On days like today they're the days when I can't make it beyond the garden gate. But there are days when I'm positive, and super productive, and those days I can manage to get to the shops, or walk my son to school. This adds to the frustration that sometimes I can do it, and other times I can't.

Today I pushed myself to clean and once I was cleaning everything was going well. I ate normally today, and proceeded with some exercise and lifting weights.

By the evening I tend to perk and once everyone is in bed I'll be in a comfortable state.

Is it possible I need to go up on the medications? I will call my doctor Monday and ask him.

I just want to be able to record these videos and get them uploaded. I've got so many that need voicing over. Each video is about 6 pages worth of writing (both sides). I've now got to transcribe them tot he computer, correct errors and print them off ... for each video ... there's 12 of them. The recording my voice is the easy bit, it's the writing I can't seem to get done. My brain just says "nope".

For those of you who work a day job while still feeling crap ... how do you do it? How do you just crack on with the mundane tasks when you're under the weather?

Don't analyse how you are feeling-just get up and get on with your tasks no matter how bad you feel. It will give you a sense of purpose and I imagine that you need a routine with your ASD, Wired?

My job is prety boring but I seem to be able to instantly perk up and get it done when people walk in.
    The rest of the time is spent on the net or thinking about the things I would enjoy doing but sem to be "too hard"

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information