Thread: Not sure what to do

Not sure what to do

Hello, this is my first post here. I've always dealt with some form of anxiety/depression but it's been manageable in my day to day life. The reason I am posting is because I am currently on vacation with a friend of mine in Japan and I am having anxiety like I have never dealt with before. I was hoping initially it was just a combination of jetlag/ culture shock but it has just been progressively getting worse. I cannot pin point the trigger or if it is multiple reasons but I actually slightly broke down into tears this morning multiple times. I never do that. I've even contemplated changing my flight for 400 dollars and going home early. I've been here for 3 nights and have 6 more to go. I knew i would have to deal with a little bit of stress being over here but I never imagined anything like this. Any and all advice is accepted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Re: Not sure what to do

I would imagine it's your hormones out of whack because of the body clock change. This combined with the idea that you are 'trapped' and away from your usual comfort zone.

Does the idea of coming home calm you?

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I would imagine it's your hormones out of whack because of the body clock change. This combined with the idea that you are 'trapped' and away from your usual comfort zone.

Does the idea of coming home calm you?
    Yes. The thought of home gives me overwhelming joy. This has been adding to the anxiety as I keep thinking I should be having the time of my life. The trapped feeling has definitely passed through my mind multiple times.

If the idea of going home alleviates the anxiety then it really points to you being out of your comfort zone. I think the change in body clock can also be enough of a stress that your central nervous system is having a bit of a hissy fit too.

The 'best' thing you can do is just accept the anxiety and try and enjoy what you can. It's not easy, but sharing how you're feeling with your friend and letting them know about the anxiety (if they don't already know) would be beneficial, and just not placing too much importance on it. It's here, so just accept it. It's not ideal, but that's where you are right now.

Going home would solve the immediate issue, but may possibly cause regret down the line.

Either way you're in both a win/lose situation at the same time!

Good point. I will just have to deal with it the best I can and enjoy the most out of it. Thank you for your time and the advice

Hi

I hope that You have continued with your trip. I went through a similar Anxiety attack earlier this year. I have decided to take my self out of my comfort zone and prove to myself that I could travel. I took a flight to Mosocow then took the Trasnssiberian train to Beijing via mongolia. As the Time changes were gradual the anxiety was not to bad, But a day or so after I flew back to the UK I had a major panic attack which I now know was due to the time difference betoween Beijing and the UK catching up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiratoo View Post
    Hi

I hope that You have continued with your trip. I went through a similar Anxiety attack earlier this year. I have decided to take my self out of my comfort zone and prove to myself that I could travel. I took a flight to Mosocow then took the Trasnssiberian train to Beijing via mongolia. As the Time changes were gradual the anxiety was not to bad, But a day or so after I flew back to the UK I had a major panic attack which I now know was due to the time difference betoween Beijing and the UK catching up with me.
    Hi! I did continue on my trip and an still on it. Things got significantly easier with time. I had no idea the time change would affect me so much like that. I head back home Friday so I'm glad I read this so I know ahead of time what the cause is if it happens again. That will make it much easier to mitigate things. Thank you for following up and sharing your experience as well.

Thread Information