Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neuropathy

Re: Neuropathy

I too was recently diagnosed. Went with low carb diet, and dropped my levels back to normal in less than three months. I started getting the hot/burning pain in my feet about 6 weeks in to lowering blood sugar numbers. I had no symptoms at diagnosis. Still bothers me now. My hands also feel hot at times. Both hands and feet look and feel normal to the touch. No numbness or loss of sensation. Not sure if this is neuropathy, but it certainly concerns me.

I did read that as your body gets back to normal these little niggles can happen. I’m still giving it a few days to see what happens but I know my anxiety doesn’t help and it’s probably making me focus on it and go around in circles. Well done lowering your levels. The way I’m looking at it is if there was no pain when levels were high why would they happen when sugar levels are under control?

I’m going to see how mine in for another week

Yeah, I am hoping this is just my body adjusting to normal sugar levels. Anybody else experience anything similar?

Please let me know how you get on backroads

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post
    Please let me know how you get on backroads
    Looking back at your original post, I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of neuropathy. It is usually bilateral. You are talking about just on one foot. Any idea how long you were in the diabetic range before being diagnosed? For me, I figure it was about a year. I hope that wasn't long enough to do permanent damage.

I was tested 18 months before I was diagnosed and was pre diabetic so not exactly sure. I just wish I had realised how serious it was my drs words were just because your pre diabetic doesn’t mean you’ll become diabetic and I left it at that. I’m kicking myself now.

Now that you’ve got your levels back in normal range what advice have you been given? I’ve been told that because I’ve lost weight as long as I keep it off there’s no reason for the diabetes to return and just go easy on carbs. I feel very panicky when I think I’ve eaten something I shouldn’t. Do you test your levels at home?

Friday evening I went for a walk and noticed a sharp burning pain on the top of my foot, above my toes and below my ankle. It went away as fast as it came but my foot felt really tender. I didn’t think anymore of it until Saturday when I sat awkwardly then I felt it again but again it disappeared quickly. Yesterday morning when I woke up my anxiety was awful and I’m sure it hurt for about an hour before I drifted off to sleep and I didn’t feel it any more then today it’s constantly on my mind and it hurts when I walk, it hurts more when I take the weight off my foot. I also have planter fasciitis in the same foot so I’m wondering if I’m walking awkwardly because I’m thinking about it. I’m worried it’s diabetes relate It mentions it in my diabetes book the dr gave me and describes it was a burning pain. I was diagnosed in May with an HbA1c of 56 and my HbA1c was back to normal at 38 in August.
    My dad had similar,after many bloods and tests,he has gout.

I think gout effects the joints? I could be wrong. It’s more over the top of my foot I’m wondering if it might be related to the tendons. It’s been quite sore again today but goes as quick as it comes and it’s always when walking

I was tested 18 months before I was diagnosed and was pre diabetic so not exactly sure. I just wish I had realised how serious it was my drs words were just because your pre diabetic doesn’t mean you’ll become diabetic and I left it at that. I’m kicking myself now.

Now that you’ve got your levels back in normal range what advice have you been given? I’ve been told that because I’ve lost weight as long as I keep it off there’s no reason for the diabetes to return and just go easy on carbs. I feel very panicky when I think I’ve eaten something I shouldn’t. Do you test your levels at home?
    I knew I was prediabetic as well. Same story. Just figured I would be fine. Good news is what we are doing seems to be working. I've lost 30 pounds going low carb. Blood sugars in normal range. I believe we can keep them there if we continue with this new way of eating. I am not foolish enough to think I can go back to the way I ate before and be fine. I have added back a few foods that are more carb heavy, but in moderation. I am making sure I keep my weight where it is now, or actually I would like to be about 10 pounds less.

I definitely test my levels at home. It's the only way to know what certain foods do to me. I tested several times a day during the first 4 or 5 months. I don't test as much now, but still test pretty regularly.

Our stories are so similar. I felt like I was testing constantly at the beginning but now only test when I’ve tried new food or had something heavier in carbs as a one off.

How are your feet? I’m feeling mine are improving but the anxiety is taking over. I’ve worn a support sock every day for the last couple of weeks so might try without that tomorrow as it feels tight and I’m wondering if that’s adding to the tingling feeling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information