Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting patterns

Posting patterns

Sorry, this isn't a health related post, but just wanted to put an idea out there. I was thinking about this forum, and because I work in marketing, I often have to research patterns and behaviours of customers/clients.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but HA worries almost seem contagious. I've been on this forum for nearly a year now, and noticed a few trends. Back in December - Jan, we had quite a few people posting about MS/ALS related worries. February - April, I could see a trend with bowel worries and more recently there seems to be quite a few posters (myself included) with lymph node worries!

I don't know if anyone else has noticed patterns, but maybe health anxiety can be contagious. Obviously there are lots of triggers on here, which may explain it all.
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 08-10-19 at 12:10.

Re: Posting patterns

Well I can’t speak for anyone else but I often find myself coming here and reading something and then worrying about the same thing, or getting triggered by something.

Definitely a pattern. You should have seen the boards during the ebola scare! And the post patterns are definitely related to news. When a disease makes the headlines for most any reason, you're bound to see threads pop up.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You should have seen the boards during the ebola scare!
    I was not, and did not have HA over it. Nonetheless, it scared the shit out of me when my son had Ebola training and got the big white suit. 😟

How interesting! I do know that worry is "contagious" - my husband and I have been watching Breaking Bad again (before the movie comes out) and I have to stop the binge sometimes because the illness in it is too real for me and I start poking and prodding...

I also wonder if, lymph-wise, because it's this time of year, where we're all fighting little germies and bugs, our lymph nodes are up and active, and being HA sufferers, we take notice at even the smallest lump/bump! Man, living inside our heads.... lol

Mr L you bring up an excellent point. An anxious mind is certainly susceptible to latch on to outside influence and information. You should have seen the office after the ice bucket challenge...

I love this post! I also have to look for patterns and connections in my professional life and as a result do the same in my personal life. Honestly, I just enjoy patterns in general. I would be curious to see if there's anything to these patterns outside of triggered thoughts.

Take the MS/ALS pattern during Dec-Jan. Does the change in daylight have anything to do with this? Researchers are beginning to look at the effects that daylight savings has on physical health through health issues like heart attacks and strokes. I just did a quick search and found that lower levels of Vitamin D (the sunshine vitamin) can cause muscle cramps and aching.

In addition to daylight savings, Dec-Jan winds up being a month of reduced workloads for many countries due to the winter holidays. I know that I wind up not working much at all throughout Dec and as a result am relaxed on a level that I am not for other parts of the year. People who are always anxious may experience a ratcheting down process when relaxing which could manifest as weakness, exhaustion, or spasms.

I wish that there could be some large scale research on this but I'm not holding my breath. Doesn't seem like you could easily capitalize this data. But it could be really helpful for an individual to use in their own healing. Thank you again for sharing the idea!

Sometimes I think it depends on what’s big in the news too.

It's not just the subject matter that runs in cycles and patterns, it's also responses. Reassurance seeking and the inevitable "Yeah but" and it's variants run rampant here.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’ve seen rabies, ALS, brain eating amoeba, schizophrenia, various cancers (especially pancreas), fatal insomnia, mad cow disease and MS all run their courses on here.

Personally, I’m waiting for spontaneous human combustion now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information