Thread: Too young to have a polyp?

Too young to have a polyp?

Hi,
    Just a bit of background so I don't drip feed.
    I've got a long history with health anxiety. Last October I started getting acid relux symptoms, I don't really get burning it's mainly a watery mouth, nausea, gassy pain and feeling really hungry after I've ate a big meal. I was also getting constipated on and off and really gassy. Usually when my belly was playing up I would have a sore throat, always left side.
    I had noticed Ibs symptoms on/off for a year or so before the acid started in october. Usually around the time I thought I would be getting my period (I'm on the mirena coil so don't get actual periods)

So last October I saw my gp about my acid reflux symptoms. She tested me for helibactor, which was negative and she wanted me to start taking ppi medication to see if they would help. I felt a little better so I didn't bother with the meds.

At the end of April i went back to the gp as my symptoms were getting worse and I was feeling really nauseous.
    I had full blood count, a stool sample and she started me on 30mg of lansoprazole.
    Bloods came back normal, stool sample showed calprotectin was 103 so she referred me to a GI.

Saw the GI at the beggining of Sept, he ordered another full blood test and stool sample, upper abdomen scan and scopes both ends.
    I've had all the above done now, don't know the blood, stool and scan results yet. Coloscopy and endoscopy were done last Friday under sedation.
    Endoscopy looked fine, they took boipsys but I won't know for a couple of weeks.
    Colonoscopy was fine apart from a 2mm sessile polyp which they removed and will biopsy.
    The nurse who discharged me assured me the polyp was nothing to worry about and I do believe her, however she made a comment about how I'm young to have a polyp and usually it's seen in the over 60's. I'm 31.
    So now this has worried me. I had something growing inside me that shouldn't have been for another 30 years. Something that could of turned into cancer.
    I'm not too sure when I'll get the results from the boipsys and my scan. I wasn't told anything at the time of my scan, just that she would write a report for my doctor. If everything looked healthy wouldn't she of said?

Also when I was 28 I was diagnosed with periodontal disease. Not through lack of oral care. Dentist said it was genetic. She said I had the mouth of a 50 year old! 😕
    I just feel like I can't trust my body, it's ageing prematurely. I'm getting all these things wrong that I shouldn't have at my age.

I know I probably sound a bit silly, but dying young and leaving my children is what fuels my anxiety. Both of my parents died quite young (41 and 57)
    I have had cbt and therepy a long time ago, which did help at the time. I know I probably need more now. Haven't had much luck with the NHS this time around though!

Id really appreciate advice/reassurance if anyone has been through anything similar.
    Sorry it's so long, haven't really got anyone to talk to about this stuff.

Re: Too young to have a polyp?

No idea why they told you that polyps are only seen in the over 60's as that is rubbish. I have had them when I was in my early 40's so that seems like rubbish to me as no-one has ever told me I was too young to have them.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for your reply Nicola. At the time I was still super chilled out from the sedation so I didn't question her. The leaflet she gave me also said polyps were usually in over 60's. Just got me worried 😔

How interesting - never seen/read/been told that before.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Saraht88 View Post
    Thanks for your reply Nicola. At the time I was still super chilled out from the sedation so I didn't question her. The leaflet she gave me also said polyps were usually in over 60's. Just got me worried 
    Maybe it was meant in that way because the bowel screening age is for 60 years and above? Of course it will be seen more in over 60's as that's the age when screening begins........just a thought.

I'm pretty sure I've read quite a few statements on here saying polyps were found with their scopes.

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:21.

Thread Information