Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liver Issues High ALT and B12

Re: Liver Issues High ALT and B12

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Pulisa, Raynauds is an autoimmune condition so this could be the reason your B12 is/was elevated x
    It could well be! The main thing is that it's nothing to worry about though and we'll both never have low levels which cause problems.

I hope you are feeling better and can get some rest after this scare x

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It could well be! The main thing is that it's nothing to worry about though and we'll both never have low levels which cause problems.

I hope you are feeling better and can get some rest after this scare x
    Thanks Pulisa, I will be sleeping easier tonight, my stomach will settle down too soon, it always plays up when I'm stressed. XX

Some months ago I solved the mystery of my many years with raised B12 and folate levels. It was because my body couldn't utilise the levels of folic acid found in wheat products. Most wheat products are now fortified. When I went gluten free, my B12 levels and folate returned to normal levels and (so did my ALT liver level).
    Doctors testing for folate don't distinguish between the folic acid and the folate floating around in your bloodstream. So you can be high in what they call folate but it's actually folic acid, which your body can't do anything with if you have problems with your methylation cycle, which I do. Many, many people with chronic conditions have this too. This is all slowly coming to light.

Methylation is a chemical reaction that occurs in every cell and tissue in your body. Chemically speaking, methylation is the process of adding methyl groups to a molecule ... Enzymes, hormones, and even genes are proteins and the process of methylation affects them all ~ Google.

I got bloods back today and my ALT was 51. My last test before this was on 03/02 and it was only 11 then! I was on antibiotics at the end of March/start of April but surely my liver still wouldn’t be showing the effects of those? Did yours come down? Was it elevated for no known reason?

Quote Originally Posted by lb76696 View Post
    I got bloods back today and my ALT was 51. My last test before this was on 03/02 and it was only 11 then! I was on antibiotics at the end of March/start of April but surely my liver still wouldn’t be showing the effects of those? Did yours come down? Was it elevated for no known reason?
    Hi, it's likely the infection (for which you had the antibiotics) that's caused the rise in ALT, rather than the antibiotics. Some infections can take a few months to completely clear from your system. Anti-inflammatories can also cause this rise. 51 is only slightly raised and I suspect your ALT will return to normal levels in a few months.

Mine had been steadily rising even within the normal range (it got to 48) but I have autoimmune issues so am either coeliac or have a wheat allergy. I now take a high dose milk thistle tablet every day, which helps detoxify the liver and is good for digestion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information