Thread: Touched rust on small cut, worried about tetanus

Touched rust on small cut, worried about tetanus

I have a small, non deep cut on my finger from an accident with a knife. I got the cut this morning, it bled a tiny bit then was ok (just sore)
    And now I just moved some of a family members old metal gym equipment which has some rust and accidentally picked it up with the hand with the cut and it touched the cut area. I washed it almost immediately and added some anti septic cream. What are the chances I could get tetanus? Should I go to the doctor?
    The equipment has been kept indoors for about a year, does that make any risk less likely?

Re: Touched rust on small cut, worried about tetanus

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitis View Post
    What are the chances I could get tetanus? NONE. Should I go to the doctor? NO.
    ​Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Definitely not. You need to get an actual wound from something rusty to even consider tetanus and even then it’s rare and not just from a little cut you already had. Throw that thought away.

Thank you both for your replies.

On the day it happened I googled (bad I know) and saw a post somewhere where someone said it took about 8 days for tetanhs symptoms to happen to them so I'm still a bit anxious about it.. I called medical advice number on the day it happened too, and they said that since I was already vaccinated against tetanus as a child that I'm at no risk, but again I read online that adults should have shots too, which I haven't had since becoming an adult.
    So yep, still anxious about it :(

The last couple of days I've had some muscle pain too. Realistically I think it's hormonal but my periods are super irregular and I haven't had one for a few months (still hasn't started) so I'm worried that the muscle pains are tetanus or something..

You can't get tetanus just by touching something rusty when you have a cut. Even I wouldn't worry about this.

As far as vaccinations, here in the US, they recommend a tetanus booster for adults every 5 to 10 years, depending on which doctor you are talking to. I keep mine up to date because I have a job where I occasionally get injured and I have a house with a large yard where I also occasionally get injured.

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 04:21.

Hi Itiswhatitis

I was literally just about to post about getting tetanus from rust .... but now that I've read the replies to your post I don't need to.

My situation was that a rusty can of shaving foam fell over in the shower when I was in there and all this orange crap started leaking from it. I have a cut on my foot so I immediately thought "tetanus" .... typically started getting jaw stiffness minutes later.....*rolls eyes*

Hope you feel less anxious soon

Bloody hell, deleted it instead of editing it!

To the OP - you have zero chance of contracting tetanus in this manner. You may have even been immunised against it as a child. If not, ask your GP practice about immunisation.

For the record... there were just *four* cases of it in the whole of the UK in 2016. That's how rare it is.

Thread Information