Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here I go again. Terrified I have esophageal cancer

Re: Here I go again. Terrified I have esophageal cancer

Quote Originally Posted by clarrie View Post
    I have the same thing - years of mucus in throat and phlegm and then it got worse when bending over to do anything. Had an endoscopy 3 or so years ago and the gag reflex from the scope made me bring up some mucus. The nurse informed me that this mucus was in fact reflux which was a surprise to me and I was diagnosed with acid reflux and gastritis. I’ve been on Omeprazole ever since but it doesn’t seem to help. I don’t get heartburn much, just the mucus and saliva, chest and back pain but sometimes it’s overwhelming so I know where you’re coming from. I get quite hoarse and I haven’t been able to sing for 20 odd years so I think I’ve got LPR rather than GERD but I’ve never had my throat scoped and my doctor’s not interested in looking into it. The pains you are experiencing may well be from acid or gas or general stomach inflammation from gastritis. And when we get anxious about them, the whole digestive system gets flooded with adrenaline and makes the pain even worse. As a fellow sufferer, I sympathise with you and hope you’re feeling a bit better today.
    Thank you so much for your reply Clarrie. It made me feel a lot better.

Most docs will bung you on Omeprazole which is awesome for acid but not for LPR. The only thing that will help with LPR (after a minimum of a month) is a strict diet. You need low FODMAP foods and use Gavison regularly while in the healing stage. Because LPR isn't caused through acid, it's actually an enzyme called pepsin, the Gaviscon will coat your throat and help stop the pepsin from irritating your throat.

Also keep up water intake, I drink approx 1 - 1.5ltr a day.

I was thinking EC too as my throat has been sore for 2wks and can taste blood, especially in the morning. I've concluded it's a mix of LPR and my rather unhealthy gums which bleed so I assume my throat gets dry at night, gums bleed a bit and pepsin is also irritating my throat.

I'm convinced I have EC and don't even have any symptoms?! Have been down another google rabbit hole.

You don't have esophageal cancer. I'm assuming you're under 50 yrs old. I worked for twelve years on a surgical unit where we did esophagectomies and we never once had a patient under 50. It would be extremely rare. You would have difficulty swallowing. You're fine.

I was in hospital last week and there was a woman in the surgical ward,she has EC and is 42.

The OP’s symptoms are all sounding anxiety related,and should be seeking serious counseling.

Having a bad day again Did ok for a day or two but the fear is back full force this morning. Now I'm questioning what cancer it is. I'm having mid back pain I feel like I can't breath and I still have so much phlegm stuck in the back of my throat. My mind is racing with worry. Is it throat, esophageal, pancreas, lung, stomach or heart issues ? I F$%#&* hate living this way

Thank you to all that have replied. Some replies have really help. I really am trying not to go down the rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1 View Post
    I was in hospital last week and there was a woman in the surgical ward,she has EC and is 42.

The OP’s symptoms are all sounding anxiety related,and should be seeking serious counseling.
    It is rare.

My Dad died this year from EC and your symptoms are not like any that he had. Most of your symptoms are related to anxiety. You need to see your GP to get reassurance as at the moment you are just making your symptoms worse by worrying.
    You say you are too scared to see your gp but you are scared anyway so better to see your gp and get checked out and know that it Isn't something serious.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information