Thread: Gerd problems

Gerd problems

Hi about 2 weeks ago I started with acid reflux so I got in at my doctors last week she prescribed me Omeprazole 20mg one day followed by Gaviscon after every meal,but I have got such a cough with it,the reflux is settling down now but when I go to bed and lay down the cough starts and I can't stop so I have to get up and walk around and have a glass of water,by this time I can't stop crying it's horrendous I'm not sure wether to go back to my doctors as I have to take the Omeoprazole for 2 weeks,but at the time she said I would have this cough OWING to acid.

Re: Gerd problems

Hi,
    It’s awful isn’t it. Do you take gaviscon before bed too? Which one are you using and how much do you take a day?
    Are you propping yourself up at night? So, not lying flat. And lastly, don’t eat too soon before bed, or heavy/fatty meals at night.

Hi THANK you for your reply,yes my doctor told me to take Gaviscon at bedtime,I I try and eat at 5pm each day as I usually go to bed at 930,perhaps I should try 3 pillows at night instead of 2.I don't eat heavy /fatty meals due to my IBS,many thanks for listening and advice.

The omeprazole didn’t work for me, but I didn’t have the coughing. I had heartburn mostly. I found gaviscon and time the only thing that really helped.

Perfect time to find this thread. My GI is looking at me possibly having GERD issues too (I had two episodes where I woke up with acid in my throat and it was one of the WORST feelings ever, so much pain and burning). The GI said different medicines work for different people, so what works for you may not work for someone else.

I'm on omeprazole and it's been a huge help. My doctor prescribed me a "delayed release" one that I take in the morning (40 mg, so it puts out 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night) AND I take Pepcid AC at night. I hope you find yourself a working PPI medicine.

Thread Information