Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here. Heart concerns

Re: New here. Heart concerns

Just a thought, but have you looked at dhydration and electrolytes? It's quite a basic really, so you may have already, but low electroclytes can cause palpitations and racing heart beats. I had quite bad palpitations for a while this year (they were even waking me up at night) until I looked into electrolytes (I think it happened because I had changed my diet quite drastically). The result was that I added 2 glasses of coconut water and a couple of bananas per day to my diet, to up my levels (mainly potassium - we need about 4700mg per day and most don't reach that). My palpitations stopped within 24 hours and if notice anything with my heart now, electrolytes/dehydration are the first things I look at.

Magnesium is also important - again most are slightly deficient and it can affect the heart like all electrolytes. I now soak my feet in a bucket with warm water and 500g epsom salt for 30 mins 2 or 3 times per week (you could also soak in a bath but I just find the foot soak easier).

Update: I went back to a second dr and he was so much nicer than the first. He said that he wouldnt recommend any procedures or a beta blocker. He did give me a pill that I can take when my palps are being bothersome

He said that its not anything that is going to kill me and he told me some things to try also, like squeezing my chest, pinching my nose and blowing out, rubbing the side of my neck, and breathing deep. Also said getting back into exercising will help. So now I need to find motivation for that LOL.

Glad you got a second opinion and now have a better understanding of what's going on.
    There will be good days and bad ones but in time you will learn your triggers and things to avoid to keep palpitations at bay (((hugs)))

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information