Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
"Victim mentality" is a phrase that gets used a lot by people who subscribe to the "bootstrap mentality". It's not a question of believing you're destined to be anxious, it's about believing you might be more prone to anxiety than most people.
Sorry I missed this bit.

Yes I totally agree that some people can be more prone to anxiety, but that's not the same as accepting it'll always be there, because it doesn't have to be.

Fundamentally anxiety is caused by stress, period. The key is finding the things that stress YOU.

We know somebody local who used to run marathons all the time. She would run 50-100 miles a week. She was a proud home owner, working many hours a week to buy expensive things that she hung on walls with the price tag still attached. She hired me to paint her house (because you know, painter/decorators are all rich), but the house didn't need painting. She just wanted some expensive farrow and ball paint on her walls. About 2 years later we saw her in the supermarket, and she had aged about 15 years and had lost a ton of weight. We chatted to her and discovered that her physical and mental health had collapsed due to 'life commitments'. My point here is that it's possible that you (and anybody else) are doing things that you think are good for you, and you even want to do...but they might not be.

I'm just suggesting that you audit your own life and remove stress as much as possible. Despite me not having sources written down, I absolutely know we are not designed to live the life we are currently living, and the evidence is out there if you go and look for it.

When I use the term 'victim mentality', that doesn't mean I subscribe to the 'bootstrap mentality'. I'm simply asking you not to keep suggesting to yourself that your anxiety is inevitable. There is some value in the idea that you can pull yourself together, but I think it's better to have self compassion and give yourself the space to recover.