Thread: Is it only me ???

Is it only me ???

So basically I have booked my smear test for tomorrow and I’m absolutely scared and nervous.
    I was 24 when I started my fertility treatment and when I went for my first initial appointment not knowing what to expect the unsympathetic gyno started to do a smear test and bearing in mind I was 24 not even 25 I just totally panicked and she couldn’t do it then she turned around and said well if you can’t handle the pain of a smear you won’t manage a Transvaginal scan and we’re not even going to attempt and that your very small there.I then went for a test to check my tubes where
    They put dye through you, again the bedside manner of the guy doing the test was disgusting and we had to abandoned he left it as a joke saying l have excellent pelvic muscles. After that I didn’t even attempt a smear. Couple of years ago my practice nurse suggested I came for one she was really good and I didn attemptthe test but it was just so painful , she abandoned it and told me to try again but I just couldn’t as I find them very very painful. However with me now suffering from health anxiety and having long period cycles I thought I need to book a smear at least if that’s clear I don’t panic everytime I have a funny do with my cycle. My question is I’m 36 am I the only one out there who’s left it to late to have a test ... which has made me more anxious now to think what I’ve ive left it to late ... health anxiety doesn’t make it easy either

Re: Is it only me ???

Sunshine, you need to ask the nurse to use extra gel, tell her also you tense up and remind yourself it's only seconds!
    And no, you are not the only one.
    Especially if you have had a bad experience in the past. x

I dislike having a smear,with me it is because of having HIV,2019 and still get treated like a leper.
    Ignorance is Bliss.

Thanks for your replies ....Well I’ve just had my first successful smear test in 12 years ... the nurse was amazing and I only felt pain when she opened the speculum... she even agreed with me that I am a bit tight there but used a small speculum and it was manageable. She said everything looked healthy down below and results should be with me in 2 to 3 weeks .... now the panic over the results will start ... she did say if it takes longer it doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong...
    Last edited by Sunshinegirl82; 15-10-19 at 17:34.

I hate having smear test I did go 6 years once between one and convinced myself it would come back bad it didn't, and I'm sure yours will be fine to, and I can't believe they still treat HIV + individuals as lepers, it 2019 its time ignorant individuals educated themselves and get
    Over it xxxxxx

I’ve just recently had a smear test as you’ll know by reading this thread, obviously as with anyone with health anxiety I was really panicking about my results I’m 36 and never has one. I also know there’s been a lot of issues with delayed smear test results so if anyone’s reading this just to let you know I had my test Tuesday evening and I went doctors to today for my appointment and they already had the results which were negative and they came yesterday so less than a week. So they definelty getting better At getting the results back . so if anyones reading this waiting for smear tests results And are worried and from ring your gp they might have already have them I’ve still not received my letter though. I’m just relived the results were normal. I hope this helps.

So pleased you did it and that the results were good.

Well done! Fantastic news.

Thread Information