Thread: Anxious about driving lessons and theory test

Anxious about driving lessons and theory test

Hey all!

This is my first post here so please be gentle with me lol, I'm 26 years old and have been suffering from anxiety for the past 5 years, it definitely isn't anywhere near as bad as what it used to be but as of recently deciding to begin my driving lessons I have started to become more anxious and prone to panic attacks again, my first driving lesson is next week and I'm very worried that I will do something wrong and crash or won't even be able to drive at all :/ also the theory test is really stressing me out and making me panic... I'm not worried about the "theory" part of the test as I'm quite confident I can pass that, it's the hazard perception part of the test that I just can't seem to understand.

If anyone else here has been through a similar situation could you be so kind as to give me tips please? Or even just anyone who drives in general lol, thank you all for reading my very long rant take care!

Re: Anxious about driving lessons and theory test

Hi,
    it's perfectly normal to be anxious about driving, the roads are a scary place!

Infact, isn't it better to be anxious, as the fight or flight response for once is doing what it's supposed to do, making you extra vigilant in potentially dangerous situations?

Doesn't everyone get nervous/anxious before taking an exam? I did, every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everybody is nervous about their driving test, anxiety or not.

Look at it this way though, what's the worst that can happen? You fail, you just take the test again. It's really not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hlvd View Post
    Hi,
    it's perfectly normal to be anxious about driving, the roads are a scary place!

Infact, isn't it better to be anxious, as the fight or flight response for once is doing what it's supposed to do, making you extra vigilant in potentially dangerous situations?

Doesn't everyone get nervous/anxious before taking an exam? I did, every time.

Sorry, didn't mean that to read like I was being harsh, I'm not.

It didn't read harsh at all hlvd, don't worry.

these are all perfectly normal feelings with learning to drive. Firstly you won't crash on lessons. You will do plenty wrong...you're learning, but you won't crash. All learner cars have duel controls so the instructor will step in. Lots of times my instructor moved my steering wheel into the correct position because I was steering onto the wrong side of the road lol. He just laughed. They see it all the time. They will have seen worse than you, guaranteed.

Joes right, worse case scenario, you fail. Just re-sit it. My OH took 4 attempts.

Ghost…Spillways

Thread Information