Thread: awful upper body burning sensation - does it go away?

awful upper body burning sensation - does it go away?

I’ve been on citalopram for 3 weeks - 2 days of 5mg, week of 10, just over a week of 15 and 3 days of 20. I get these awful waves of intense whole upper body burning sensations - arms, chest stomach, pelvis and face. They last about a minute and then go off. Any one else get these and do they go away? I was feeling a bit better today and hadn’t had any for a few days and then wham! So demoralising and makes me feel terrible again 😔

Re: awful upper body burning sensation - does it go away?

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    I’ve been on citalopram for 3 weeks - 2 days of 5mg, week of 10, just over a week of 15 and 3 days of 20. I get these awful waves of intense whole upper body burning sensations - arms, chest stomach, pelvis and face. They last about a minute and then go off. Any one else get these and do they go away?
    They usually do. Serotonin isn't only a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body and the brain is actually a minor maker and user, less than 2%. The skin and its blood vessels use about as much and in the initial stages the heightened serotonin activity can cause irritation and 'burning' sensations. They usually diminish as the AD's plasma levels stabilize, for citalopram usually within 7-8 days of a dose increase and the extra activity triggers a downregulation of serotonin synthesis and expression. Some people also experience adrenaline surges as burning sensations and these surges are more likely to occur because of the common initial increase in anxiety. They too diminish, but sometimes not as quickly.

Another thing to be aware of is serotonergic ADs can increase skin photo sensitivity while they are taken so extra care is needed when outdoors. Apply UV protection if staying outdoors for extended periods.

Re: awful upper body burning sensation - does it go away?

Glad to hear you are ok Windywel-was worried x

Thread Information