Thread: Any explain why this happens?

Any explain why this happens?

Could any explain why this happens? If I knew why maybe I could find the solution. 3 weeks ago had a panic attack in the middle of the night, I was so shook it kept me awake the following 2 nights and a few nights since from worry. I've slept soundly all week now but the fear is still there. My anxiety during day time is about 1-2, when it starts to get dark the anxiety and worry start, I just don't feel great in the dark. This seems to last right through until sunrise the following day. Any ideas?

Re: Any explain why this happens?

I think this is a fairly common thing to be honest, and something I have had myself in the distant past. Nightime is the worst time for many with regards to anxiety and depression, hence why universities have 'all night counsellors' , as one example. The reason for it happening is a combination I suspect - the lack of distraction, the quiet, the feeling that the world is asleep and therefore a feeling of distance, lack of other human interaction. Panic attacks at night are essentially no different than in the day, but in theory the same responses need to be applied. An acceptance that it is happening, and removal of the fear of it by self-talking and reminding yourself that its only adrenaline and it'll be over soon, and you'll survive it just fine. Do something to distract yourself, get up and do a job round the house, read.....anything that focuses you away from the panic feeling.

Yes you've summed that up exactly. I know it's silly but it just feels worse at night

Its not silly, it can 'just feel worse at night', it kind of feels more frightening and as if you are less safe......a good thing to do is to find some way of having human interaction if it strikes at night. So, a chat room or something ? I got to the point many years ago where I splatted the night time panics, with much self-reassurance, distraction and reminding myself that it was no different from the day.

I'm having the same problem, and I'm pretty sure it's fairly common. Something about night time that gives us the feeling we're on our own. So doing something to take your mind off it is a good idea as suggested above e.g. chat room, listen to talk radio, get up and do something. During the night it's easy to start overthinking due to the quiet and dark.

I noticed that if I open the window and see what's happening outside has helped as well. I can hear the motroway in the distance; see the occasional car pass, hear aircraft overhead, birds singing - no wonder I can't sleep it's so noisy!!

Thread Information