Thread: Doctor wouldn’t help

Doctor wouldn’t help

So I’ve just been to see my GP, who is usually very supportive, and he just wasn’t interested at all! I explained my situation that I’ve had to take a few months off work and that I constantly feel anxious, dizzy, on edge, adrenaline, derealization etc..... The best he could offer me was beta blockers and a referral to a neuropsychologist (waiting time 4-6 months). I’ve already had a neuro exam with a CT scan last year. I’ve never taken anti-depressants before and just wanted something to take the edge and help. This is just a nightmare! Any suggestions??

Thanks

Re: Doctor wouldn’t help

Have you tried therapy? Counselling, CBT, hypnotherapy, psychotherapy etc

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    Have you tried therapy? Counselling, CBT, hypnotherapy, psychotherapy etc
    I gave CBT a try last year but I really couldn’t focus on it, didn’t help that the therapist was always late or never showed up. I just wanted something to take the edge off......

What do you mean by 'something to take the edge off it'? A betablocker isn't an AD.....

You say he wouldn't help, but he did offer two types of help, albeit not the type that is probably most useful or those that you want. Maybe you need to be certain what you do want from him, in terms of prescription and therapy, and ask directly, or maybe you already did that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    What do you mean by 'something to take the edge off it'? A betablocker isn't an AD.....

You say he wouldn't help, but he did offer two types of help, albeit not the type that is probably most useful or those that you want. Maybe you need to be certain what you do want from him, in terms of prescription and therapy, and ask directly, or maybe you already did that ?
    I asked him for some anti depressants but he said no. That’s the main reason in went to the appointment, to ask for some medication. I explained to him that last time I took beta blockers they didn’t work for me. Maybe this neuropsychology will help, it’s supposed to help people with severe physical symptoms from anxiety but who knows. I just wanted something to calm my nerves because I’m sick of feeling like this.

Oh I see, well thats strange that he said no as some types are very good for anxiety and if you've never tried one before - what was his reasoning for that ? I tried betablockers too, once about 30 years ago and I was more panicky but with a lower heart rate to panic about lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Oh I see, well thats strange that he said no as some types are very good for anxiety and if you've never tried one before - what was his reasoning for that ? I tried betablockers too, once about 30 years ago and I was more panicky but with a lower heart rate to panic about lol
    It’s very strange, I think I need to see another doctor. He didn’t give me a reason, I just don’t think he likes giving out anti-anxiety medication. I was the same last time I was on beta blockers, low heart rate and more panicky. I dunno, he just didn’t seem interested at all!

Yes, I think you need to see another doctor too, it sounds like you are right there might be some personal reason why he doesn't want to do it.

Thread Information