Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Period still hasn’t stopped-scared!

Period still hasn’t stopped-scared!

I’ve had period issues over the years (I spotted for YEARS) but this recent issue is really playing on my anxiety.

Since I had my little girl three years ago my periods have been super heavy every month. The first two days are terrible and I often have to get up during the night so I don’t bleed everywhere. Despite that, after the heavy passes the rest of my period is light and done by day 6 or 7. This month has been totally different. I had the usual heavy but then had days of heaviness on and off where I’m usually light. On day 8 I had spotting which isn’t common but has happened to me. But I’m now on day 9, still have spotting and now have really dark red light bleeding when I go to the loo. What gives? I’m freaking out over this as it is not normal for me.

Re: Period still hasn’t stopped-scared!

I would talk to your doctor about it and maybe see a gynae consultant. You could use something like the pill or a coil to stop the bleeding altogether.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hiyer Chantel, don't be scared! If things don't slow down/stop, there are plenty of medications that are availiable from the doctor to deal with it. You describe 'super heavy' and I guess that is quite a subjective phrase - my super heavy is getting up multiple times during the night and double protection, I guess what I'm trying to reassure you about is that the blood loss might not be as much as you think. Have you tried estimating your flow in a month ? Now, this period that isn't stopping - the most likely cause is probably hormonal imbalance, and in that you've had episodes of oddities over the years it could be more of the same, but a different hormonal combination. Of course you will want to talk to your GP about the change in bleeding pattern and see if they consider that fibroids could be the issue, or similar, and discuss making it more manageable for you. Periods are a real pain in the backside and a trigger for anxious people, especially when they throw a curved ball and do something out of the usual pattern for you. However, 'out of the usual pattern' does happen to most women at some point especially at a certain age and sadly after child-birth.
    Last edited by Carys; 17-10-19 at 16:10.

Thank you for your replies.

Carys, I haven’t been able to estimate my blood flow because I don’t use a diva cup. I always have one night where I set a clock for every 2-3 hours so I don’t flood all over the place. The last two months I’ve had a sudden surge in the morning of day 3 where I will bleed bright and quickly with clots for an hour and then it will stop. The flow is definitely way worse than it was before I had my third child. Your answer helped calm me so thank you. Anything abnormal is enough for my anxiety to play up. I spoke to my obgyn last year about my heavy bleeding and he didn’t seem particularly concerned about it. With my previous spotting, bleeds, etc I had internal ultrasounds done but they always came back clear. I just want the bleeding to stop.

Hiyer, you can estimate if you use tampax - I know you aren't UK but you could probably find out the ml per tampon you use, or the ml your san towels are showing. For example, a yellow standard tampax tampon here holds 5 ml, green 7 ml and orange 10 ml. If you've had ultrasounds that have been clear and its been run past your gynae about the flow change, then thats all good news. I don't know your age, but that could be relevant ? I would recommend to you keeping a paper 'diary' of flow est., length of cycle, heaviest days and anything else that is irregular. Its handy to have it noted down if you go to discuss with a medic. As for the 'wanting it to stop', yes, I know that feeling...I once had a 21 day bleed but then I am hopefully close to meno !?!? It could be that this month your oestrogen was much higher than progesterone, allowing a much thicker lining to build....well....there could be loads of reasons, maybe you didn't ovulate that can cause this also. WHy not contact your GP (or whatever you call then there in Canada) and ask for something progesterone based that you can take if you find it doesn't naturally stop ? I have to say, that as a 51 year old I recognise your erratic period, as mine are incredibly heavy, erratic and with every manner of oddity thrown in, but I am presuming you are quite young ?

Just to add - anxiety alone can cause a period to be longer. Instead of progesterone being made the body makes stress hormones. So, the calmer you can be the better - easier said than done I know as I've been majorly period-stressed myself,at times, over the last 8 years. Maybe it is also time to consider a longer-term measure for the heavy periods anyway ?

I suggested that too Carys. I had to get a coil fitted for heavy periods.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yeah, they can get really really troublesome with age for some women and if you have lots of years to go before meno it is def. worth considering.

I am 36 years old. I have been keeping track of my period for the last few years. Very heavy the last two and a half years and just last month it seemed to change in terms of flow/clots. Prior to that I rarely got clots. I also always go light by day 5. This month I kept in getting returns to heavy on day 6 and 7 which is not typical for me. This on going period is totally new for me too.

I’ve read about the cool but like anyone with anxiety read about all the possible side effects, scared myself and refused to get one.

I shouldn’t read anywhere but thought it would be safe to read on this forum about my issue. Unfortunately I read a post from a member who had heavy bleeding and clots during her period and ended up having uterine cancer. I am seriously spiralling now ☹️

Unfortunately I read a post from a member who had heavy bleeding and clots during her period and ended up having uterine cancer. I am seriously spiralling now ☹️
    Hold on, you've seen a gynae to discuss and had scans and they were clear. That overides the one story you read, of which you have no idea of the background. So, if you don't want the coil, ask your GP for some strong ibruprofen based medication that reduces the flow. (like mefenamic or tranexamic acid).

There is nothing stopping you going to your GP to discuss this period as soon as you like, and asking their opinion and for something to stop it (if it hasn't already, but I have to say for most people they do stop once the hormones equalise).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information