Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this really ‘just,’ anxiety??

Re: Is this really ‘just,’ anxiety??

If anyone has any tips on how to accept these sensations too - that would be great.

I think part of the problem is I don’t really have much in my life to take my mind off of them. I have a fairly easy job in retail and my son has just started school x

Any hobbies? Mine are an absolute lifeline for me, not to mention a ton of fun.

I have become stuck in an anxiety only rut. I was working in a store and it became my life and soul to make it a success- but then a lady came in that was quite unpleasant to me- and so I had to leave and now I work in a store that is quite quiet and not very challenging x

reading mainly- what hobbies do you have- I need some inspiration x

I've been making beaded items for about fifteen years now, and I'm finally starting to get okay at it I've taught classes before (once I was even paid!), so if that interests you let me know and I'd be glad to be a mentor.

Maybe you could think about getting a pet, too? I don't have kids but I do have cats, and they're a source of endless entertainment.

In terms of acceptance, self mantras can be incredibly powerful. Without going into it too deeply it's your subconscious that causes most of the issues with anxiety, the automatic systems in the body. What we can do is control our reaction to the sensation and the language we use to cope.

Saying things like 'I know this is just anxiety, I know it will pass' can be incredibly effective over time. I used to do this multiple times a day, especially mid panic attack. You are using your conscious mind to re-train your subconscious mind not to panic. Say it out loud if necessary.

Perhaps look for some local charities that need volunteers. Helping other people is a proven way to help yourself, the idea that compassion for others also heals yourself is very true.

So for example a hard lesson for me was not reacting to stimulus from other people. The lady that was mean to you in the store, perhaps she was experiencing anxiety too, in some people it can manifest in anger. Perhaps she had some bad news, perhaps she's looking after a sick relative. Or maybe she's just a dick. The point is, HER reaction to you and the situation that occurred isn't really a reflection on you, your personality or your competence. She chose to be that way based on what she was experiencing that day. Like anxiety, shrug it off and carry on with your life. It doesn't really matter in the end.

Thank you both of you - those messages are very helpful.

Do either of you get very bad anxiety in the mornings- and do you find telling yourself it is just anxiety helps over time?

Yes Blue iris- I would be interested in making beaded items.

Best wishes and thank you again,

Sally

Do you like gardening? I find it helps me,just being out in the fresh air and taking in the sunshine is therapeutic

Drop me a line, Sally, and maybe we can get talking I'm at a conference today so I may not reply immediately, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

And yes, it takes time, but reminding yourself that it's just anxiety and getting on with your day will work eventually. You've got this!

My morning anxiety used to be bad, peaking around 5-6am.

I don't really suffer with anxiety any more, but it can poke it's head around the corner still if I get stressed, and it ALWAYS comes back in the morning first. One of the main reasons for this is that your body produces cortisol at around that time to help you wake up, so it's partially a natural process!

But, all I do now is get up and get on with it. A quick mental 'it's fine' and just get on with the day. If you don't pay attention to it, you'll find that it'll pass fairly quickly anyway. A morning walk would help especially well here as it burns off any adrenaline caused by the cortisol and replaces it with serotonin instead!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information