Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help - Bad Wisdom Tooth Again

Re: I am terrified to go on holiday - bad tooth

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Every country got folk with teeth, every country got dentist's. Even Afghanistan. Just take out health insurance in case

I've made some replies (2), with direct advice about things you can do to try and assist yourself to cope with your holiday. It seems you've started a new thread though, and it has been merged, so you will need to look back for my replies.

Well Honeyskye, I don't know if you ended up going or not, or if you were able to take any of my 'practical advice' in the posts a page or so back. I would be interested to know how you got on when you return. (as I do hope you went)

Help - Bad Wisdom Tooth Again

I'm well aware that my anxiety is running rife at the moment, however, I've an impacted wisdom tooth that has been causing me problems recently.

About 6 weeks ago the gum was bleeding and inflamed so the dentist gave me antibiotics and referred me to the hospital to have it removed although I've not had an appointment yet.

My latest scare is that it's just started to flare up again. I've kept it very clean and done self water rinses, used corsodyl, etc but last night it was hurting again so I took a look and some of the gum was red and bleeding. This morning I scraped around the tooth with a cotton stick and there looked to be some pus there.

What's really bothering me is if it's infected again and if so, the consequences. I'm terrified I'm going to end up with sepsis. I'll call the dentist tomorrow but I'm worried they won't see me until later in the week and by that time I'm scared the infection will have run rife in my body and end up in my bloodstream.

Please can someone offer me some calming sensible words as I'm beside myself with worry.

Re: Help - Bad Wisdom Tooth Again

So, are you back from holiday now ? (didn't see any update on your holiday threads and was wondering....oh its been merged now I think)

Infections don't 'run rife' as you think they do, infact some people leave infected wisdom teeth (although this is infected soft tissue by the sound of it and not the tooth itself) years before doing anything and hoping they will break through (had mine infected badly at 18 and 21, and its still there and so am I). I'm not saying that is a great idea by the way lol. Painful and nasty to have in the mouth, but your body is designed to deal with minor infections and keep them under control, hence the pus that you see collecting, which is white blood blood cells trying to do their antibacterical stuff. So, its everso simple, ring the dentist tomorrow and get another prescription, probably for a longer course of the same antib you had last time, as clearly it wasn't quite wiped out by the last course. Maybe also it wasn't the right antibiotic and they will prescribe something different, although these infected impacted teeth are a darned nuisance and keep having this problem due to food collecting underneath the gum. They shouldn't even need to see you for this as its the same issue you were seen for before, and it it was me I would describe the problem to the receptionist and ask for the dentist to write a script to pick up right away. If you start to develop any sort of fever then you know to make contact with a doctor, rather than a dentist, but I bet you don't need to. Sepsis is extremely rare, and people have latent or even very active infections all the time with no compromise to their overall health. Hopefully your appointment will come through soon.
    Last edited by Carys; 03-11-19 at 14:23.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm 37 years old and all 4 of my wisdom teeth are impacted.. From time to time I get pain from one of them, I suppose reminding me that I need to get them out.
    I know lots of people with impacted wisdom teeth, its a common issue.

If your so worried about infection why have you not made the appointment to have them removed if you were given a referral 6 weeks ago? Infection does not automatically equal sepsis. Yes, it's possible but it's a rare complication of an untreated infection. Truth be told I know a few people who have dealt with infected teeth for years. Get it taken care of as soon as you can and then you wont have to worry about it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    I'm 37 years old and all 4 of my wisdom teeth are impacted.. From time to time I get pain from one of them, I suppose reminding me that I need to get them out.
    I know lots of people with impacted wisdom teeth, its a common issue.

If your so worried about infection why have you not made the appointment to have them removed if you were given a referral 6 weeks ago? Infection does not automatically equal sepsis. Yes, it's possible but it's a rare complication of an untreated infection. Truth be told I know a few people who have dealt with infected teeth for years. Get it taken care of as soon as you can and then you wont have to worry about it anymore.
    I think the OP is trying to get it treated/taken out and has been referred for this and is still waiting.
    It isn't that easy over here.

OP it's very, very, very rare that you would have any sort of complications from this. I would also say warm salt water is better than Corsodyl which is also expensive and stains your other teeth.
    If you do go down the Corsodyl route, supermarkets do their own version which is £2.rather than £5 for Corsodyl.
    Last edited by BikerMatt; 03-11-19 at 17:24.

No, was going to say the same, she's had a hospital referral for the dentist there to remove the wisdom tooth and is still waiting for an appointment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information