Thread: Choked on water and twitching in throat- ALS

Choked on water and twitching in throat- ALS

Last week it was a BT
    Monday it was Breast Cancer
    Today it’s ALS
    Yes I’m in weekly therapy and on meds. CBT and ACT but dang ALS is a hard on to shake.
    My body has had twitches and I have been diagnosed by PCP with benign fasciculations they are usually in legs butt or eyes but in recent weeks it’s been my side neck it feels like popcorn going off for hours then i will get a day or two and it returns. This has been about a month. Yesterday did me in.... I was drinking a drink and it “went down the wrong pipe” and I choked. I diagnosed myself with bulbar ALS. I came to these forums and read that chocking on liquids is a symptom (read that AFTER I choked on liquid). All day I’m waiting to choke again.
    What evidence do I have that I do NOT have ALS?
    What is the incidence in a 36 YO female?
    What do I do if I choke again?
    Please help before I spiral.

Re: Choked on water and twitching in throat- ALS

Quote Originally Posted by LilyLabVA View Post
    Last week it was a BT
    Monday it was Breast Cancer
    Today it’s ALS
    Yes I’m in weekly therapy and on meds. CBT and ACT but dang ALS is a hard on to shake.
    My body has had twitches and I have been diagnosed by PCP with benign fasciculations they are usually in legs butt or eyes but in recent weeks it’s been my side neck it feels like popcorn going off for hours then i will get a day or two and it returns. This has been about a month. Yesterday did me in.... I was drinking a drink and it “went down the wrong pipe” and I choked. I diagnosed myself with bulbar ALS. I came to these forums and read that chocking on liquids is a symptom (read that AFTER I choked on liquid). All day I’m waiting to choke again.
    What evidence do I have that I do NOT have ALS?
    What is the incidence in a 36 YO female?
    What do I do if I choke again?
    Please help before I spiral.
    Because people choke on water or other drinks all the time. Just because you choke does not equal ALS. Give it a few minutes and you will be fine.

You can't diagnose ALS from that. We have all choked on a drink or food when it went down the wrong way.

You don't have ALS.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hey LilyLab,

You ask what evidence you have that you don't have ALS? How about the fact that you have no symptoms of bulbar ALS. None. You said your drink went down the wrong hole which caused you to choke. That's not a bulbar symptom. Fasciculations on the side of the neck would have nothing to do with nor affect swallowing. You do not have ALS.

Take care

You put Evil Knievel to shame with that leap!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Was very calm this weekend thanks to your replies and some therapy.
    Then I choked again :(

This one was not as bad was just more like a cough after drinking but I had to cough badly as something in swallowing water triggered it. Not sure what’s going on but you all are saying these are not bulbar ALS symptoms? Solids go down fine. I thought I had read something about choking on liquids in this forum once.

Me again. Monday morning and I’m spiraling thinking about why I could’ve possibly choked on twice now only liquids so far. I’m spiraling. I see my psychiatrist on Friday but until then if I choke again what is a reasonable thing to do? Of course part of me thinks this could be ALS but I am not totally convinced I’m using reason to know that statistically is highly unlikely and the fact that I have worried about things I’ve never come true for the past 10 years. However I am very scared that this is a symptom. I’m too afraid to Google and I know that will not help. I have already read ALS sticky on the forum. More so I’m afraid of continue choking and what decision I make after that as far as seeing my primary care or a neurologist or what. I mean how would they even test for bulbarr onset? Do they put an EKG On your tongue or something? I’m very stressed and I just want to have a good week I’ve made progress but this is setting me back. In fact for about four months this summer I had complete freedom from anxiety now it’s back with avengeance.

Re: UPDATE Choked on water and twitching in throat- ALS

Very upset to say that its still occurring at least every other day. I will swallow a drink and when it hits my throat area I feel a urge to cough. It's not like I'm aspirating. I know many healthy adults experience this once in a while but its happening so often to me, I can help but think the worse. I have made the mistake of reading online about swallowing issues being neurological and of course I go to the most fatal one, ALS. Especially with liquids. This comes on top of twitching ALL over my body.
    I'm not anxious when the choking it's happening. I will be working and drinking a coffee, or enjoying peace and quiet at home. Do I just continue living my life despite the difficulty with liquids? Will this go away? Next steps if not? I'm so scared.
    I dont think any doctor would even take me serious at this point, as none of my family does. But it feels SO REAL to me. Please help, please respond.

Hey there. Are you still having issues? I will tell you what I know.

Do u know whether u can have muscle athropy inside your lip? My lip inside is thinner inside one side and I don't think it was like that before. Having toungue twitches as well as chin twitches as well x

Thread Information