Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patch of Shiny Skin on Shin - Help Me

Patch of Shiny Skin on Shin - Help Me

So I discovered a patch of shiny skin on the front of one of my shins. It's flat, not discolored, doesn't itch, doesn't hurt. It's just shiny...it's probably 6 inches long by 2 inches wide...give or take. I Googled. Big mistake.

Please tell me you've had a patch of shiny skin.

Re: Patch of Shiny Skin on Shin - Help Me

What are you worried about - I am sure it is normal

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Do you shave your legs? I notice that gals who shave tend to end up with shiny areas on the fronts of the shins. I think it's the exfoliation from the razor that causes it. Totally harmless.

Thank you both for responding. I'm scared...because...I don't know why. It's just out of the ordinary so it scares me thinking it's something bad. I don't shave much to be honest because I'm pretty much hairless anyway on my legs. Astoundingly, I have plenty of hair on my toes (TMI...sorry)...but for some reason my leg hair is sparse, fine and blonde. Anyway, I can't blame it on shaving. It's only one shin and only a strip on one shin. Weird.

Something has been rubbing there, it could be literally anything like you cross your legs always the same way and are wearing jeans.....literally any physical action could cause it. However, I will say, I really think this is literally nothing to be concerned or worked up about, I can imagine any possible health implication of a shiny patch on one shin.

I have the hairless legs and hairy toes, too! I joke that I'm secretly a hobbit.

I can't think of anything that would present as a shiny area of otherwise normal skin. You could ask your doctor the next time you see him, but I'm thinking like Carys, that something you are doing is rubbing your leg and keeping your skin smooth and exfoliated there.

If you wear pants a lot, my aunts did and never had to shave their legs as the pants rubbed the hair off and yes made their skin shiny.

It could also be scarring or a stretch mark

Quote Originally Posted by PennyP123 View Post
    I Googled. Big mistake.
    Yep. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Something has been rubbing there, it could be literally anything like you cross your legs always the same way and are wearing jeans.....literally any physical action could cause it. However, I will say, I really think this is literally nothing to be concerned or worked up about, I can imagine any possible health implication of a shiny patch on one shin.
    I can vouch for this (as a guy, but still). The way i walk means that my pants rub certain areas of my legs more than others, and those spots of my legs have little to no hair, to the point of being polished smooth. I would seriously not worry about it all, but i know our minds like to work differently at times...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information