Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding Propranolol and Blood Pressure?

Question Regarding Propranolol and Blood Pressure?

Hi, just wanted to ask about a medication I've been taking for a little over a year now. I'm 32 female, I'm on Eltroxin 50mg for Hypothyroid and Leonore 100/20mg for hormone imbalance for PCOS.

I started on 80mg slow release, but reduced it to 40, then 20 and for the past 6 or so months have been taking 10mg a day, and it's for anxiety (which I have severe anxiety), and I have to say it helped an awful lot. But I don't want to be on them forever, so for the last week I've been taking the 10mg every 2nd day, but the last couple of days my blood pressure seems high (at least on my home wrist bp thing).

I'm just not sure whether if I should come off it for now, if its causing my BP to spike like that, and are there any bad withdrawals from 10mg? I just feel like I'm on loads of medicines, thyroid, hormone, and now for anxiety, which I get ups and downs with, but just worried about side effects as I read online about strokes and heart attacks about coming off it and it caused me a little stress.

Re: Question Regarding Propranolol and Blood Pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by mischamoonlight View Post
    I'm just not sure whether if I should come off it for now
    That's a question for your doctor/therapist.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yeah, I think I just don't want to be on them forever, but at the same time, but as I'm only taking one every 2nd day my blood pressure seems to have spiked, which then has me worried about the effects.

I'm sure ill figure it out, just confused.

I keep getting hot flushes every so often, and sometimes what feels like little sharp electric shocks in the middle of my chest. Not sure if related to the spike in BP, but I'm worrying about strokes or whatever it could be. I took my BP an hour ago on the wrist BP monitor and the last reading was 119/84.

I'm feeling very panicky, jittery. I don't know whats going on, I read online about cutting or stopping your Propranolol can cause strokes, heart attacks and its frightened me terrible as I have cut my 10mg to every 2nd day this past week. Panicking about my heart now.

No one here can tell you if you should come off your meds or not, that's a discussion best left for your doctor but I'm sorry your having a hard time 😔

I do not know if the symptoms your experiencing currently are related to your weaning down your meds or not but I do know there are side effects with most maintenance drugs when one abruptly stops taking them or cuts their dose after they have been on them for a long time. Coming off your meds is a personal choice and it probably would have been wise to discuss this with your dr prior to cutting your dose as he/she would know how to best proceed without causing you great discomfort.

Your blood pressure reading of 119/84 is fine. I do not think someone will have a heart attack or a stroke from stopping their beta blockers but rather if one stops taking their beta blockers and they need them to control their high blood pressure, blood pressure will return to being high and prolonged high blood pressure is associated with heart attacks and strokes.

Please discuss all this with your doctor and I hope you get to feeling better soon (((hugs)))

Hi, sorry thought my message had gone through earlier. Yeah, think I'll make an appointment to see my doctor this week and ask about the best course of action. I think I'm very anxious at the moment, so probably wasn't the best time to decide this, but I'll definitely talk to my doctor about my concerns and try not get as hysterical. I think I was panicking cause of the pinching in my chest, and I instantly think its a heart attack or stroke, so my head is very erratic at times. Maybe even discuss a 5mg dose instead of my 10mg, but don't think they do 5mg here in Ireland, but I'll ask my doctor. Thanks for getting back to me.

Your BP is good.

I stopped, no taper 80mgxr in 2017 after taking it for 2 years with no problems but ask your GP.

Yeah? I'll definitely discuss it with my doctor before I decide to come off it, and see how it goes.

I took my blood pressure tonight and it's still high (for what I'm use too) 125/89. I took my 10mg Propranolol yesterday and today and it's still this high?

I'm really worrying why it's so high, even my heart rate is up in the 80/90's tonight. Is it an infection? I am just worried about this, and why such a spike in BP?

I literally did my Propranolol every 2nd for a week, skipped Monday, took 10mg Tuesday, Skipped Weds, Took 10mg Thurs, skipped Friday, and took 10mg yesterday and today but my BP is still high (as I said, for me, as it's usually in the 100/110's Systolic, and 60/70's Diastolic.

I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor but I' finding it hard to sleep with this, it's worrying and panicking me slightly. I'm even having little pains in my chest, like throbbing or something or electric shock (mildly).

(I took my temperature and it's not high from what I can tell, 97.3/ 'ish).

I just took it again and it was up even more in the 130's/90's. I'm also getting tension in the side of my head?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information