Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question Regarding Propranolol and Blood Pressure?

Re: Question Regarding Propranolol and Blood Pressure?

Your blood pressure is going up because you are anxious and filled with worry. Any time one becomes anxious there will be an increase in both blood pressure and heart rate.
    I understand your concerned because your blood pressure is running higher then what's normal for you but your readings really arent terrible. I think you should stop taking measurements because your anxious, everytime you get a measurement outside of what your used to seeing your gonna get even more anxious which is just gonna cause your blood pressure to go higher as it's a normal body response to anxiety.

You are okay...

Thanks for getting back to us! Was just at my doctors today, he took my blood pressure, said it was a bit high, but 10mg is a low dose, and could be due to the gastric thing I've been having during the week (I've been having bad stomach cramps followed by loose/oily stools and lots of stomach noises) and listened to my chest as well, as I was having mild chest pains but said my heart sounded fine, also took my temperature and said that was fine also.

It could be an accumulation of the gastric thing I've been having, and anxiousness and trying to cut to every 2nd day. He said to go back to taking the 10mg everyday and in a couple weeks book for a 24hr BP monitor. He didn't seem too concerned, but said my BP was a little high.

I feel a little more at ease, but still a little worried why my BP has spiked, but not going to try get upset and try relax myself and keep taking my medication.

I think your blood pressure is probably fine and that it's been higher then normal for you lately because your anxious. My Dr would not be at all concerned with the readings you quoted.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Thanks again, yeah, I know I've been more stressed lately, it was the blood pressure spike that freaked me out because my temp was normal and my heart rate was too, so I started thinking "oh its a terrible infection, it's going to turn into Sepsis" or something deadly, and that's how my brain works when I'm very panicky and anxious. I'm still going to book the BP monitor for 2 weeks time and take my Propranolol 10mg daily until then as my doctor said to do.

It's been a rough time, so when anything like happens, it's what sets me off, hopefully I can start to repair and even allow myself not to panic and be calm.

Thanks again Careful1!

Just want to ask something. My heart rate is normal at the moment, and I've been taking my Propranolol 10mg dose daily since Saturday after trying to do every 2nd day last week, but even tonight my BP is still a bit high to what is normal for me, and I'm not particularly stressed or anxious and have been at home all day relaxing so, what could be causing it?

I discussed in another thread that I had a bit of stomach issues last week, basically my bowels were a bit loose and mucus, and then would be solid again, but would get really bad stomach cramps before a movement, and gas of course. It hasn't been too bad last couple of days, it was loose today but no cramps before hand.

I've a discomfort in my left side in the back of my ribs, I was on Google (of course) and things like enlarged spleen turned up, but I've only had this side pain for the past few days so not sure what it could be either?

My BP is what is bothering me the most as it's night time, and I've been taking my Propranolol for 4 days straight now, and I know it's a fairly low dose but I expected it to be back to normal by now, but worried if theirs some underlining infection or something but I don't know what to do.

I explained I was at my doctor yesterday (Monday) and he checked my heart, temp and they were fine according to him, he just said my BP was a bit high and to go back to taking my 10mg dose daily and book a BP monitor for about 2 weeks time (I did), so I don't know what to think?

Yeah, tonight it just seems to keep jumping from the 120's-130's/80-90's.
    Last edited by mischamoonlight; 23-10-19 at 02:00.

You gotta stop checking it. Try just checking it one time maybe once or twice a week and see how it is. Blood pressure fluctuates depending on what your doing and your mood and so it's not gonna be the same all the time. Sometimes it will be higher and sometimes lower but it doesn't mean there is a problem.
    I know you say at times you are not stressed or anxious but just because your not feeling stressed or anxious at any given moment doesn't mean actually aren't. Subconsciously you can be...

Your blood pressure can run a little higher then normal when your not feeling well and so maybe that's why yours is a little higher then your normal and it can also be that your dealing with anxiety.

Keep taking your meds and I'm sure things will return to normal in time.

I never think about it being there subconsciously, I'm always thinking in the moment, and not how it may be lingering or that I'm thinking about it still. You're right, I'll try to cut down checking it constantly, it's like an OCD disorder, and I hate that I fixate on it like washing my hands all the time. It's very hard to break such bad habit behaviour.

I'm sure I'll get there eventually, just have to try harder to not get as affected by it, but at the moment theirs been so much stress, so even when I get a chest flutter, my anxiety instantly jumps in (like the flight or fight feeling), but it's over productive.

Thanks Careful1, and yeah, still taking my medication daily, for now I think its necessary as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information