Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep and Fast Heart Rate

Sleep and Fast Heart Rate

Hi all,
    Wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar or experiences something like this.
    When i'm falling asleep my heart can sometime bump with a big thud and wake me into a panic, or it can go super fast i start to feel poorly i have to adjust my sleeping position or lastly I wake up with a racing thumping heart in the night....
    I fear that something bad is happening therefore this affects my quality of sleep let alone if i do sleep. Have anyone of you guys heard of or experienced this before?
    I once had a fitbit and sometimes in the middle of the night on the reading it showed my heart rate spike up to over 100....whilst i was alseep. I have read on fitbit forums that this might be a glitch on the watch itself, if that is true then i am mearly experiencing a sensation of a fast heart rate and nothing life threatening but again i cant be certain. I dont have my fit bit now as it caused me more harm than good.

Thanks for your time
    Phoenixess

Re: Sleep and Fast Heart Rate

Your heart rate can frequently go as high as 135 while dreaming. Your body does not differentiate between awake and asleep when the mind sends signals to the body to produce adrenaline etc. My hr is frequently over 100 while asleep and I am on 100 mg of beta blockers a day. My cardiologist said it was very normal.

I agree with lofwyr. I also used to wear a FitBit, and it often recorded a heart rate of 120+ BPM during sleep. I know I'm a fairly active sleeper, so I assumed it was because of that and / or the fact that a Fitbit can (and does) provide erroneous readings sometimes.

The thud followed by am increased heart rate is also normal, sounds like a PAC or PVC. They're harmless palpitations, and that's just how the work.

It's very common for your heart to pound at night with anxiety.

Fitbits aren't the best devices to accurately record heart rates though, they are notoriously inaccurate and prone to doubling the actual reading.

It's very likely that your heart rate could be anything from 50-150bpm at night depending on whether you are dreaming, rested, relaxed, anxious or having a nightmare. A fast heart rate in itself is not dangerous in any way, it's simply responding to stimulus and doing what it's designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    It's very common for your heart to pound at night with anxiety.

Fitbits aren't the best devices to accurately record heart rates though, they are notoriously inaccurate and prone to doubling the actual reading.

It's very likely that your heart rate could be anything from 50-150bpm at night depending on whether you are dreaming, rested, relaxed, anxious or having a nightmare. A fast heart rate in itself is not dangerous in any way, it's simply responding to stimulus and doing what it's designed to do.
    I’m currently at church and experiencing the same thing I had it all night also and hardly slept for more than 30 mins each time. But now I’m scared every fast heart rate episode will transpire to chest pain and death. This is so disturbing of my everyday life it’s so hard. I just don’t know how to stop this any more. It’s destroying me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One way to stop it is to not assume that a fast heart rate will lead to chest pains and death. That's the first thing I would stop doing.

If it's high (over 100bpm) and stays high then it's not a bad idea to pay a visit to A&E to rule out something like an infection, but even a bad nights sleep can ramp your heart rate up for the rest of the day.

But again, a fast heart rate isn't dangerous in itself.

They said I did have a viral infection on Friday I was in a and e for several hours just now it’s led me to being more paranoid thanks for the support

Well if you have a viral infection AND anxiety, it could keep your heart rate high for days. A 'normal' person wouldn't pay any attention to it, but I know if I'm ill my heart rate will hover around 90bpm, and back when I was anxious all the time and I'd check my heart rate all the time that action alone would constantly push it over 100bpm.

Just rest and drink plenty of fluids, you'll be fine.

Thank you I’ll keep you informed

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information