Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Migraine aura... scared!

Worried that migraine aura is astrocytoma

So I had my first migraine aura when I was 21 (around 3 years ago). I had 4 that year, one the following year, and none this year (so far...) Clearly they are becoming less frequent, although I still get nervous about having another one since the last one was quite scary (after the visuals, I got numbness spreading through my body).

A news article popped up about whether or not migraine auras could be a diagnosis point for astrocytoma (brain tumour). SO NOW I'M FREAKING OUT. It's a slow growing tumour, so I'm worried that is what has caused my auras, and is just slowly getting bigger and bigger.

I read somewhere that brain tumours in the occipital lobe would cause short visual hallucinations (< 5 min) which made me feel a little better, as I usually have a blind spot for 5 min and then the zig zag appears for around 10. From there, it can be the end, or I'll get tingling/numbness and then maybe a headache or maybe not. I'm so scared it's related somehow to a brain tumour, what do I do as I think getting a brain scan would just be silly at my age but I'm so scared!

Re: Worried that migraine aura is astrocytoma

I have read a few journal articles where patients had 'auras' of between 5 min to an hour, just like described as a 'classical migraine' but they in fact had a brain tumour :( The only thing they all had which I don't is the increasing onset of episodes...but I'm still so worried now

Hey there.
    I think the fact that your symptoms are not getting worse is a big reason not to worry about it, along with the fact that it is infinitely more likely to be a typical migraine than anything serious. I know it's hard, but I hope this helps at least a little

This post perfectly illustrates why you shouldn't research your own symptoms online.

Before, you knew they were migraines, now you're in the process of convincing yourself it's a brain tumour.

Thanks guys! I know the odds are low...it's really that it's not getting worse is the main thing that reassures me. I guess I'm stuck in the 'what if' loop...what if I'm the minority!

An astrocytoma is actually quite a broad term covering a range of brain tumour varieties. It can include oligodendrogliomas, anaplastic astrocytomas, glioblastoma (my Nr. 1 Fear from April 2012 until February 2019) amongst other less common varieties.

I researched brain tumours heavily, and I self-declare myself as an expert (Disclaimer: my advice cannot replace that of your doctors), BUT:

* Astrocytomas, of any variety, are very rare
    * The occipital lobe is thee most uncommon area for a tumour to form (less than 5% of glial tumours form here)
    * Whilst taking the previous bullet point into consideration, it's worth noting that only around 1 in 50,000 people develop a glial tumour each year in the UK
    * Asthma and allergies reduce your risk of the same by about 70%

If I understand your post correctly, you report four episodes of visual disturbances occuring over a three year period, with none in the last year. If correct, we can rule out an astrocytoma right away, and you can forget about this worry immediately.

The most common form of the astrocytomas is the Glioblastoma - it causes death, without treatment, at an average of 8 weeks, although people can survive up to about 4 months without treatment. With treatment, the prognosis is equally grim, with the majority dying within 14 months - and that's with optimal treatment!

When brain tumours cause focal seizures (whether they're in the occiptal, temporal, parietal or frontal lobes), these seizures will happen multiple times per DAY. They won't happen one day, then stop, then occur at a later date. It's actually quite common for patients with GBM to suffer around ten focal seizures per day, until they're diagnosed.

I would bet everything I own that you're suffering from nothing more than migraine auras.

You can ask your doctor for reassurance, but please please please rest assured these episodes are NOT caused by ANY sort of astrocytoma.

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Dimdim, what you've described is a TEXTBOOK visual aura. You may have had four in a year, but I've had more than that in a week - once I had three in one day.

At no point was my GP even remotely worried.

Wow, thank you so much! This information was extremely helpful, you have no idea. Really, THANK YOU!

Can I just ask what you mean by this,

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    * Asthma and allergies reduce your risk of the same by about 70%
    THANK YOU!

Asthmatics and people with allergies are essentially protected against glial brain tumours. It is thought this is (in part) due to a hyperactive immune system and the low grade chronic inflammation. However the exact way in which asthma/allergies protect against tumturs remains unknown.

but yes you can rule brain tumour out and move on, that I’m certain of

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

I didn't know my allergies could shield me from something worse instead of just being a mild annoyance. TIL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information