Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: ALS and why you DON'T have it!

Re: ALS and why you DON'T have it!

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowawayLurker View Post
    I wonder if twitching was removed from all the symptom lists on the internet for ALS if the health anxiety of this one would practically disappear.
    Absolutely 100% guaranteed this would be the result!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-55718363

Motor neurone disease: Edinburgh scientists reveal breakthrough

“Why do I see people saying their EMGs were normal when their ALS started? For those people who are accurately reporting their diagnosis the answer probably is that their ALS started in their Upper Motor Neurons and then progressed to the Lower Motor Neurons. Upper Motor Neuron disease is found on clinical exam so these people were not told they were fine. They had an abnormal exam and the neurologist knew there was something seriously wrong. If your exam was fine ( or just some brisk reflexes which are normal in many cases) this is NOT you“

Can someone elaborate on this part it confuses me a bit. Like, I have brisk reflexes but they are bilateral throughout and not of concern per my neuro but what does it mean that it started in upper than moved to lower. How was it not seen on EMG?

Upper motor issues are not just "brisk reflexes". It's a particular pattern of involuntary and pathological response to stimuli and can only be detected via clinical exam.

So if my neuro didn’t mention anything other than brisk reflexes then I’m good to go? I had brisk reflexes and they did an emg for twitching and arm issues and it was clean. So I guess I’m clear. I still worry tho because I’m scared that it was done too early or they needed to test more areas but I need to let it go.

Hi. This is a good thread. Problem is I'm very scared and I think I've have als. Im a 60 yr old male.. i was noticing some ankle pain for a time but never really looked at my legs . I had some back pain for awhile so I seen ortho surgeon who ran multiple test on my spine. Everthing good .but when he noticed my legs. Left leg is a lot thinner then the right leg . Calf muscle also smaller. He said it looked like muscle wasting n wants me to see neuro. I have been experiencing ankle pain when I try to walk on it. Hands n fingers been aching fir a awhile buy im extremely stressed out. I can walk in tippy toes n heels but ?? Idkn ..every time I look at my legs I start crying what is this. Scared that my left leg is going to continue to decrease in size ..scared of emg test n the c results I might get. I really feel I have this disease.

Fishman , I'm here because of atrophy in my left leg . My calf on my left is about an inch n half smaller than right side n below the calf is about almost 2 inches thinner then right leg. Im also experienced pain in fingers on both hands pain in left ankle when I walk on it.
    Ortho dr says it looks like muscle waste..
    I've taken so many scans on a spine .everything came back good. Blood work also. I am soo stressed right now.. idkn who to turn to.

Expresso... None of us are medical experts but what you stated about pain goes against what ALS is and does. If you read the post, ALS is about failing, not feeling. I don't doubt there's something going on but let a neuro determine that.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

HI Expresso I replied on your own thread, for when you log back on again.

This is the best thread for me , I sometimes get weakness in my calves and get plenty of muscle twitches that my anxious mind automatically panics about then I read this and I am automatically calm again

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information