Thread: Weird stools on omeprazole cancer worries

Weird stools on omeprazole cancer worries

I've been taking omeprazole for about 3 weeks now for acid and it's not really been helping. Last week I had some really bad stomach cramps which have gone but ever since I've been having really on and off loose stools. This morning woke at 4am feeling strange and panicky and have been to the toilet twice and I won't get too descriptive but stools were loose and really odd looking. I'm 53 and so worried there is an underlying problem of bowel, pancreatic or some other cancer. I've suffered HA in the past but really had it under control but these symptoms are terrifying me.

Re: Weird stools on omeprazole cancer worries

It might be worth a visit to the doctor- for some blood and maybe stools tests. But for me, the giveaway line in your post was “I woke feeling strange and panicky”. Even if this isn’t causing your problem entirely it will certainly be exaggerating it.

Thanks jojo2316 I think because my mum died of pancreatic cancer at 73 I have a fear of it. I've tired not to Google yellow stools but already seen some scary stuff

Quote Originally Posted by austinali66 View Post
    I've been taking omeprazole for about 3 weeks now for acid and it's not really been helping. Last week I had some really bad stomach cramps which have gone but ever since I've been having really on and off loose stools. This morning woke at 4am feeling strange and panicky and have been to the toilet twice and I won't get too descriptive but stools were loose and really odd looking. I'm 53 and so worried there is an underlying problem of bowel, pancreatic or some other cancer. I've suffered HA in the past but really had it under control but these symptoms are terrifying me.
    There are some blood tests you can have to test how the pancreas and gallbladder are functioning, also an ultrasound if you are really worried.

Omeprazole always makes my stools worse too. Check with doc, but I wouldn't worry.

To update I saw a GP who listened to my concerns, she has said to stop omeprazole for 2 weeks so that I can have h pylori test but in the meantime to use ranitidine. She said for peace of mind I could have blood test for pancreatic function but reassured me that what I was worried about was unlikely. Ive been away with my sister and kids for a couple of days.and feel calmer. Bowls movements seem much more normal (not yellow and floaty) and gerd is there but not too bad.

Thread Information