Thread: Length of time before effect of increased dosage can be seen?

Length of time before effect of increased dosage can be seen?

This might seem like an odd question, but my dog is currently on an SSRI for his high anxiety. Last week his dose (Paxil) was upped from 20 mg daily to 25 mg daily. Is this something that would still take 4-6 weeks before results can be seen, or is it possible to see results even just a week later? I'm wondering because he does seem to be doing better but I don't know if that's due to something else entirely or if I'm just seeing things.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Length of time before effect of increased dosage can be seen?

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    This might seem like an odd question, but my dog is currently on an SSRI for his high anxiety. Last week his dose (Paxil) was upped from 20 mg daily to 25 mg daily. Is this something that would still take 4-6 weeks before results can be seen, or is it possible to see results even just a week later? I'm wondering because he does seem to be doing better but I don't know if that's due to something else entirely or if I'm just seeing things.
    Assuming dogs react to SSRIs in the same way as humans, which is likely, but you'd need to ask a vet, it typically takes several weeks for a significant change. Antidepressants work indirectly by stimulating the growth of new brain cells and these cells and the interconnects they forge produce the therapeutic response. This takes weeks, not days.

Out of curiosity, how big is the dog? Given the dose am I right in thinking s/he's one of the bigger breeds?

Thanks! He’s 28 lbs and was on 20mg for a year before the increase. He’s pretty much right at the top of the dose he can take now if I understand correctly.

Whatever it is, I’m glad to see a bit of improvement and will see if it continues in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Thanks! He’s 28 lbs and was on 20mg for a year before the increase. He’s pretty much right at the top of the dose he can take now if I understand correctly.

Whatever it is, I’m glad to see a bit of improvement and will see if it continues in the coming weeks.
    If the improvement doesn't continue then maybe adding a small dose of buspirone (Buspar) may help. Buspirone is a Generalised Anxiety specific med which works well for some, but not for most, however, it has a pretty good track record for enhancing the effectiveness of serotonergic ADs, and reinvigorate those that have stopped working. It also eases some of the common side-effects too. I don't know whether vets ever use it, but I can't see why it wouldn't work in dogs.

I'd appreciate learning the result if it is tried.

Thread Information