Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is an ECG enough?

Is an ECG enough?

Hope you're all well. I just have a quick question. Is an ECG enough to tell if there's a problem with your heart or not. I get a strange pressure in my chest, uncomfortable feelings in chest, some ectopics (I hope that's what they are), irregular heart beats which feel different to ectopics etc.. I know these are all mentioned symptoms of anxiety, but I often get these with the absense of anxiety, especially the irregular heart beat which I can usually bring on by choice.

I had a couple of blood tests and an ECG, 2 doctors both said I was fine, but I couldn't feel any more to the contrary. I wasn't getting symptoms when I had the ECG.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Re: Is an ECG enough?

hi i just want to say i no how you feel for years ive had this problem with heart flutters chest pain pressure on the chest etc etc i was rushed to a&e not so long back with an expected heart attack the experiance of that has totally knocked me in to such a state im so frightened to take up any sort of exersise which will make my heart race ill never forget that as long as i live i had ecg after ecg i was kept in hospital over night as my first ecg showed some eregular heart beats i was kept on this right thru the night and was told in the morning i was fine and it was just anxiety i think we can get areselves in such a state and no matter wot were told we can not except it im sorry to go on but ive had so many ecg,s and they say its fine so the answer to your question is yes an ecg can tell u everthink and if they say its fine then it will be take care xx

6 weeks ago when I had my full blown panic attack - palpitations, sweats, dizziness, heart racing etc (and taken from work by ambulance to A&E) I had an ECG - it was clear, they like to make sure there is no underlying problem so it is a method used to see you are in generally good health (your heart anyway)

The bloke at A&E that done mone said "your heart is racing a bit and your pulse is racing but I would expect that from a panic attack - the ECG shows no imbalance and you are fine. Your oxygen levels are also 98% so that is very good"

We just work ourselves up something is wrong. Nothing is wrong, believe me. The doctor made me laugh when he said "If I felt you were in danger I would be moving a lot faster than I am now"

Hi,

All my anxiety is related to my chest/heart. I get the lightheadedness too but the heart is my focus.
    I get all those symptoms that you mention. I have been for the last 4 months. A constant pressure in the left side of my chest is the main one. Also a heightened awareness of my heartbeat particularly in my abdomen.
    I too have been afraid to do any vigorous exercise until recently.
    I have had 2 ECG's, blood tests and a chest x-ray and everything came back as fine. I still couldn't except this was just anxiety even though the symptoms are classic anxiety symptoms.
    I suffered with this about 3 or 4 years ago too and then I decided to go private to a cardiologist who done an echocardiogram and a stress test which came back fine. I decided to pay to see him again two weeks ago expecting him to send me for those same tests. I told him the tests I had already had. He gave me a good examination and siad no need for further test everything ok. Thinks the pressure is muscular/skeletal. Suspected I may be suffering with something called SVT occasionally which is when your heart starts beating quick when resting.
    Since then I have thought to myself every doctor I have seen has said I am ok and it's anxiety related. Why do I question their diagnosis when they are qualified and see people with heart conditions I'd imagine quite frequently and can spot the tell tale signs.
    I still get the symptoms and am fearful but I have decided to try my best to get on with exercising and doing what I used to enjoy like play football, jogging etc.
    This is easy for me to say I know because I have the same doubts and worries as you.
    You're ECG and blood test being good is reasuring that you have no damage to your heart. If two doctors have said you're experiencing anxiety and you have told them your symptoms then that is even more reasurance because it would be negligent of them to not send you for further tests if they where in any doubt.

Just out of curiosity have you read Claire Weekes Self Help For Your Nerves? It's a great little book. Written in the 60's I believe but probably the best anxiety self help book I have read when it comes to explaining a lot of the symtoms of anxiety. All the symptoms you have are explained in it.

Sorry for the ramble but I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly where you're coming from.

Hope you feel better soon,

Neil

i go through phases when i'm terrified there's something wrong with my heart (pressure, chest pain, weird heartbeats) but have had 2 ecgs having gone to a&e and have both come back fine.

you say you're worried because it seems to happen even when you're not anxious, but we don't realise that when we suffer with anxiety it can be there all the time, even sub-consciously. when i'm busy i'm absolutely fine, then when suddenly i have nothing to do i become aware of my heart. i might not feel anxious, but by suddenly becoming unoccupied i always become more aware of everything.

to me it sounds like classic anxiety. the doctor would have noticed if something was wrong with your heart. your symptoms are probably worse because you're anxiety is getting worse. find a way to occupy yourself and learn to relax and switch off and i bet the symptoms will improve.

take care x

Hi, I am going through the same as you at the moment. I have been to A & E 5 times now, had numerous ECG & Bloods, saw a cardiologist who did treadmill test all of which were absolutely normal. I get 2 kinds of chest pain, one which is central and excruciating, the other across the top part of my chest which is sometimes a dull ache and others feels like a tight band, also get pain in my back between shoulder blades and down arms. All the Docs have told me it isn't heart and I asked how they knew. The ECG shows how the chambers of the heart are working ie that they are getting enough blood. If you had a heart problem that decreased the amount of blood to the heart muscle the ECG will detect it even if it happened years ago. That is how the doc explained it to me and it makes a lot of sense. I do know how you feel though because when the pain is bad we can't help doubting them. I am now being investigated for any stomach problems which might be causing the chest pain, am off for an endoscopy (camera down throat to stomach) next week, I am in a right old state absolutely terrified cos they don't knock you out for the procedure! Anyway I hope this has helped you understand ECG a bit better. Good luck and stay well x

Hi I was admitted into hospital with same symptoms, I could not believe it was anxiety and was sure i was having serious heart problems, I had an ecg and due to very fast heart, then had a 24 hour ecg a few weeks later.
    This all showed up rapid heart and was due to anxiety as it was beating regularly etc
    The 24hour tape convinced me things were OK more than the ecg, although I have had to consult doctor since with same problem. I have accepted it is oK and I will live!!!

Please bear with me, Ill be back for good soon.

Thank you all for your replies. I just wanted to add that I get chest pain too. It really is confusing about what to do, people tell you one thing and you tell yourself another, even that's not black and white.

I have read Claire's Weekes Self Help For Your Nerves book Neil. It's a great book! I try to put to practice what I read in their on and off. I don't have complete confidence it's all anxiety though, which sends me to extremes.

I'm planning to go to the doctors again in the near future, after I've gone on the last anxiety course, so it does actually look like I'm trying (which I am). I can't help feeling I'm going to be another young one to drop dead, so I just want to get it sorted, but it feels impossible.

HI, I know exactly what you mean. I am new to this forum but just wanted to let you know I suffer the exact same way. I have the funny heartbeats etc and sometimes at night they start and just seem to get worse. I've had ECG's and 24 hour monitors and been told that everything is fine but still the fear is there. I started with them years ago and i'm still here so presumably we should try and believe what our doctors say, hard i know though.

I have read the Claire Weekes books and found them to be very very good.

Take care, you're not alone

I went for an ECG yesterday. I ws diagnosed with an underactive thyroid last Monday and my GP booked me in at the Cardiorspiratory Unit (I have been suffering from high blood pressure for about 18 months now). I now have to wait 5 days for a report to be sent to my GP which apparently is an assessment for coronary heart disease. I have had ECG's in the past related to PA's but all came back fine, so fingers crossed with this one as well.

Les

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information