Thread: Fear of blushing at work

Unhappy Fear of blushing at work

This has been a fear of mine on-and-off for many years. I fear that I will blush while someone is talking to me at work. Sometimes I can actually feel my cheeks going red, then I become self-conscious about whether the other person will notice, and that makes it even worse.

It only happens when men are speaking to me, particularly ones who are more senior than me. Part of my fear is that if I blush in front of a man, they might think I fancy them (in reality, I'm asexual so I don't get feelings of attraction to anyone, regardless of gender, but I never tell anyone at work about that - in fact only my closest family and friends know about it, so people probably assume I'm heterosexual which is why I only get these fears when men speak to me).

How can I counter/disprove my automatic negative thoughts about blushing in front of men? Is it likely that people notice me blushing? Do men really think that if a girl starts blushing in front of him, it means she fancies him, or am I being totally irrational? This has been a problem for me on and off over the years, but it's the first time it's started happening in my current job.

Re: Fear of blushing at work

Hi sparkle
    I feel myself blushing when I m talking to my boss and she is female and so am I . I think it’s the fact that she is senior to me.
    I don’t think any men these days think that you fancy him just because you blush. I think more people put blushing together with being shy or embarrassed than anything else.
    Try not to worry about it too much I always say to myself who cares if I blush or not.

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right that it's the fact they're more senior. When this manager sits with me at my desk, I'm always hyper-focused to make sure that I don't make any silly mistakes. I'm not keen on being watched while I work, but I accept that sometimes it's necessary if I'm working on a particularly tricky task that I can't resolve on my own. In the weeks since I wrote this post, I have been feeling a bit better anyway - sometimes I feel myself blushing very slightly, but I just try and ignore it and carry on with what I'm doing, and that seems to take the power away from it.

Good for you ! I was going to reply earlier and forgot, but wanted to say that your 'blushing' will be far more noticeable to you than anybody else - I usually jump to the conclusion that someone is a bit warm to be honest. I bet others don't even notice!

Blushing is just another form of anxiety. I go through periods when I blush a lot and I used to have a really bad time with it, then one day I'd had enough and I thought: am I really going to ruin my life because my skin goes red?? So I thought Fxxk it, if I blush I blush...and you guessed it...it stopped happening x

Thread Information