Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 weeks of cit not much improvement - reassurance please??!

Has anyone used ashwaghanda with ADs?

I’ve been recommended to try ashwaghanda alongside citalopram as apparently it’s really good for stress and anxiety. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Using benzos with citalopram

Has anyone used low doses of lorazepam daily in the first few months of starting citalopram and been able to come off them ok?

Re: 4 weeks of cit not much improvement - reassurance please??!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks but the two latest posts were deliberately made new threads as they were unrelated to the previous thread - it is unlikely that I will get any replies now

PDU how much do I need to worry about withdrawal from propranolol? I’ve been taking it a bit over the last 2 weeks, mostly intermittently though have taken 20mg in the morning the last 2 days. I think it helps a little bit but someone told me it can cause terrible withdrawal symptoms so I’ve decided I don’t want to take it anymore. Do I need to worry about tapering/withdrawal? Have only taken 10 or 20mg at a time once a day when I have taken it

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    Really freaking out now - been emailing psychiatrist and he said i should be noticing some inprovement after 4 weeks (there hasn’t been much!)
    I think that's optimistic. Most begin seeing improvement at around 4-7 weeks from beginning to take 20mg, but it can take as long as 12. It all comes down to individual biology.

so now im really freaking out that its not working and that I’m going to have to start all over again on something else and be ill for months
    I can't predict whether citalopram will be the right med for you, but it is as likely to work as the other ADs, and more likely to than some. Two weeks on 20mg is way to early to draw any conclusions, imho.

I’ve been recommended to try ashwaghanda alongside citalopram as apparently it’s really good for stress and anxiety. Does anyone have any experience with it?
    Your best bets would be Omega-3/fish oil and/or moderate exercise 4-5 days a week. There's no need to run a daily marathon, a good 30 minute amble 4-5 times a week can do wonders. Both have the same positive effect on the brain as ADs, albeit to a lesser extent although they may be all that's needed for mild anxiety and/or depression.

Has anyone used low doses of lorazepam daily in the first few months of starting citalopram and been able to come off them ok?
    If you take lorazepam daily for several months you will likely develop some dependency to the med and need to wean of it. However, you shouldn't need to take it for months anyway. Also be aware that benzodiazepines may reduce the effectiveness of antidepressants so their use should arguably be limited to a few weeks when first taking an AD, or for occasional breakthrough anxiety.

Thanks PDU - what about the sedating antihistamines and the propranolol? Also I’m get intermittent brief ringing in the ears. I know this is a side effect - does it usually go away?

PDU how much do I need to worry about withdrawal from propranolol? I’ve been taking it a bit over the last 2 weeks, mostly intermittently though have taken 20mg in the morning the last 2 days. I think it helps a little bit but someone told me it can cause terrible withdrawal symptoms so I’ve decided I don’t want to take it anymore. Do I need to worry about tapering/withdrawal? Have only taken 10 or 20mg at a time once a day when I have taken it
    Few people have physical withdrawal symptoms when discontinuing propranolol. Psychological dependence is another issue. The main reason for needing to taper off this med after long term use is to limit potential rebound spikes in blood pressure. You unlikely to have withdrawal symptoms based on the short time you've been on it and the way you've taken it. Propranalol has a very short half-life, about 4 hours, so a single dose will be out of your system in under a day. Regular washouts significantly reduce the risk of dependency developing. If it helps, take it.

Thanks - what’s a regular washout? You mean taking it every second day or so?

what about the sedating antihistamines and the propranolol?
    In terms of dependency? If so, I've already covered propranolol. With antihistamines, it varies depending on which one. But as you also have lorazepam, then one way of limiting dependency onset is to rotate between the two (3 with propranolol) types of med.

Also I’m get intermittent brief ringing in the ears. I know this is a side effect - does it usually go away?
    Tinnitus is a strange symptom which can be triggered by many meds, including otc pain-killers and also anxiety, btw. Just about all the ADs and other anxiety/depression meds may produce it, including lorazepam and propranolol, but most are also prescribed to treat it. It may not be a single med, either, but the combination you're on, possibly with the underlying anxiety also contributing. Whether it will be a long term issue for you I can't say, but usually it isn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information