Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4 weeks of cit not much improvement - reassurance please??!

Re: 4 weeks of cit not much improvement - reassurance please??!

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    Thanks - what’s a regular washout? You mean taking it every second day or so?
    Yes. Not having any of the med in your system for a while.

Thanks again re the sedating antihistamines I was wondering which Is the safest? We can’t get hydroxyzine here so that leaves promethazine or diphenhydramine. If I’m not going to take the lorazepam every night I really need something for the insomnia as the anxiety at night is stopping me from getting to sleep.

do you think it is likely I will have withdrawal from taking 0.5mg lorazepam a day for 12 days?

Thanks again re the sedating antihistamines I was wondering which Is the safest? We can’t get hydroxyzine here so that leaves promethazine or diphenhydramine.
    It's a toss up. They are both mild otc meds which you'd cause significant problems. The main difference is in their half-lives. Diphenhydramine's is 2-9 hours compared to 10-20 hr for promethazine, so you're likely to be less sedated into the next morning with diphenhydramine, however, as with most things med related, ymmv.

As with all sedating meds taken extra care if engaging in potentially hazardous activities, including driving, if noticeably affected. You may be less aware and take longer to react.

If I’m not going to take the lorazepam every night I really need something for the insomnia as the anxiety at night is stopping me from getting to sleep.
    Tolerance to BZD sedation tends to develop fairly quickly, as little as a week, or two, as it's activated through different receptor binding sites than the anti anxiety activity.

do you think it is likely I will have withdrawal from taking 0.5mg lorazepam a day for 12 days?
    I suspect not, but there is only one way of knowing and that is to stop taking it.

Thanks - I don’t really need the loraz to sleep as such - it calms me enough to feel sleepy if you know what I mean. It still seems to be working fine - just feels like a gentle return to some calmness. Neither of those other options sound great but I guess the diphenhydramine is a better option. Seems a bit like I’m stuck between a rock and hard place - why can’t there be any anxiety medication that doesn’t cause dependence and withdrawal!

why can’t there be any anxiety medication that doesn’t cause dependence and withdrawal!
    It isn't for a lack of trying. The company that cracks that puzzle will be able to buy the world with its petty cash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information