Thread: Citalopram and IBS

Citalopram and IBS

Hi all
    I am on cit for the second time for anxiety and depression - just over 4 weeks in total and 2 weeks on 20mg. I have IBS which is part of the reason for going back on them. It was better when I was on the medication and got really bad again when I came off in April. I started the low fodmap diet before i restarted the meds and that seemed to help a bit (I get really bad lower abdominal pain and mostly constipation) and it was ok for the first few weeks back on the cit despite really bad anxiety. But when we went on holiday last week the pain, wind etc got really bad again. Anybody else on cit with IBS? If so what’s been your experience? Thanks heaps

Re: Citalopram and IBS

Hi Windywel
    i remember your early post about side effects etc, now you on 20 mg how are you feeling apart from the IBS issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    But when we went on holiday last week the pain, wind etc got really bad again.
    Has it improved since?

IBS an ADs is tricky because the most serotonergic organ of the body isn't the brain, but the gut and the enteric nervous system, the mini brain which controls it. It makes about 50 times as much serotonin as the brain and so can be more affected by SSRIs, etc, initially. Whether the affect is positive, or negative depends on how individual biology meshes with the med. Given you've has success in the past with citalopram there is a good chance you will again, but there are no guarantees.

Hi Keta - been on 20 for 2 weeks now. Only minimally better. Think side effects have lessened a little but have insomnia and anxiety and depression still bad. Everyone says it’s early days yet though

Thanks PDU for the honesty tho not very reassuring. I’m feeling really anxious about the IBS - that’s what started off this whole relapse in the first place. It’s not really any better after coming home - back to wind and pain after eating which is not helpful as I’ve lots lots of weight from not eating due to the meds and fear of the IBS. Hoping its just the anxiety and once the meds kick in itwill settle down as I know ADs are often prescribed for IBS now. Still waiting for things to get better - 2 weeks on 20.
    Last edited by Windywel; 29-10-19 at 05:00.

Hoping its just the anxiety and once the meds kick in itwill settle down as I know ADs are often prescribed for IBS now. Still waiting for things to get better - 2 weeks on 20
    Anxiety is a likely part of the problem. The brain and enteric nervous system (ENS) seem to act as a tag team with each influencing the other, though the ENS appears to be the dominant partner. At least there is a lot more data flowing from it to the brain than the reverse although why is anyones guess atm. But, as per my earlier post, if citalopram worked before then it most likely will again. Until it does it's a matter of treating the symptoms.

You might be interested in the following if you haven't seen it already: 'Pain Of Irritable Bowel Syndrome Attributed To Itchy Guts

Hi Keta - been on 20 for 2 weeks now. Only minimally better. Think side effects have lessened a little but have insomnia and anxiety and depression still bad. Everyone says it’s early days yet though
    Sorry to hear that it still bad,but they do say to wait between 4-6 weeks for AD’s to kick in properly , so I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you. Sending hugs

Thread Information