Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The slippery valium slope

Re: The slippery valium slope

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Unfortunately, diazepam isn't the answer and you really do need to get off it if you're taking nearly 3 times the prescribed dose. Sure, you're feeling great now, but what happens when 16mg/day doesn't cut it any more, and that day could be much closer than you think? Far better to be slowly weaning off than possibly being forced to go cold-turkey.

The other issue is that the BZDs have the same affect on your brain as stress hormones. Both inhibit hippocampal neurogenesis which is the underlying physical cause of anxiety and depression. Diazepam is actually making things worse for you.
    Hey Ian

Your medical knowledge is top rate and you got a lotta respect here. It's just sometime your a bit blunt with your knowledge and actually make the sufferer feel more anxious. I seen it with two other folk. Sure it needs to be said but timing is not right.

Your first paragraph is right on. Second I would of held back.

What James needs right now is an action plan. So how exactly should he wean off valium? How should he cope with the spike in anxiety? Is there any other safer stuff he can take?

I wish I could answer them questions but can't. Just pray he's ok

Charlie

James, I'm so sorry you felt in a position where you had no other option. You're a good guy, and as has been said by others, a lot of people here really care about you.

Not sure what else to say other than that I hope you come through this okay, and I'll be thinking of you until we hear from you again.

I woke up ... unfortunately. My partner was worried she couldn't wake me and when I woke up I looked out of it she said. I told her what happened. She urged me to call my mental health team. I called them, they were not available but I told the lady what happened and she leveled me up to crisis. I'm now awaiting a call back from the crisis team. I've almost got no Valium left now. II took far too many. An entire strip and then some more at some point the lights went out. As far as overdosing goes valium has to be one of the best drugs to OD on and never wake up. It'd be like falling into a lovely sleep.

So glad to hear from you, James!

You frightened the life out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    So glad to hear from you, James!

You frightened the life out of me.
    I'm very sorry. I'm always filled with guilt after such outbursts/meltdowns or whatever this is because I hurt people around me and friends online. The cycle is frustrating. It seems like I'm constantly in a state of up and down until I reach a crisis point. The meds that are meant to be helping are not. All rationale went out of the window last night.

It's okay. I'm not angry and I'm sure nobody else is; I'm just glad that you woke up. You can't go blaming yourself for being unwell.

Have you heard from the crisis team yet?

My partner called the to see what's going on. Apparently triage is not available but they will call today I was told.

If you start feeling out of control, please post on here rather than doing anything inadvisable?

I will. I feel ok right now, but this mental illness is swings and roundabouts.

They called. The lady on the phone wasn't much help. They always try to tell you "we all have low days". In my head I'm thinking "This is not just a low day".

She was concerned about the amount of valium I took. She said I should go to hospital and have my bloods checked out. I told her I feel fine, I've eaten, my vitals are normal and I don't feel it's necessary. She said if I start to feel drowsy or unwell to call an ambulance.

Max dose in the UK is 40mg. I took about 56mg. I read this morning that the known overdoses (that wasn't related to alcohol or pain medication combinations) was 500mg and the person woke up 2 days later and was discharged. So with that in mind I think I'm ok and I feel well.

But I told them the truth that I've been taking 4mg and not 2mg because the 2mg wasn't working. I also said I haven't taken the promazine since they gave them me because I was scared of the side effects.

Waiting for a call back from my main doctor to advise what to do next in terms of medications to get me stabilized. I don't think they'll admit me. Nobody has spoke about that. I spoke to my neighbor this morning who's partner has bad mental health problems like me and she said the local mental health hospital is vile and disgusting and I don't want to be there. So meh, we'll see.

What makes this really hard is that when I'm in that state ... that's the moment when doctors need to observe. It's useless asking me how I feel the following day when I'm fully of guilt and the major depressive thoughts have gone.

I am really pleased you are ok but please remember it is against the rules on here to post such things that make other members worry about you and think you had committed suicide. It is just not fair and we had to deal with the reported posts and PM's asking us to contact someone urgently to make sure you were ok.

Please think about that next time. Thanks

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information