Thread: Sertraline Early Side Effects

Sertraline Early Side Effects

Hi All.

So after 12 years on Citalopram and finding myself struggling with Stress Symptoms, I have been advised to switch to Sertraline 50mg.

Two weeks ago I had to wean from citalopram which was hard enough alone.

Started Sertraline 6 days ago, and around 3 days ago , I've suffered with a few side effects which I'm finding very uncomfortable.

Chest Pressure, Extreme Tiredness, Upper Back Pain and Indigestion.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and could help me understand this medication a little more? I understand it takes time to work but should I be feeling like this?

Thanks for taking the time to read :(

Re: Sertraline Early Side Effects

Quote Originally Posted by TheChangingMan View Post
    So after 12 years on Citalopram and finding myself struggling with Stress Symptoms, I have been advised to switch to Sertraline 50mg.

Two weeks ago I had to wean from citalopram which was hard enough alone.
    And probably unnecessary. Most can tolerate an overnight switch between SSRIs at equivalent doses with only moderate side-effects, although some doctors prefer a short cross taper.

Started Sertraline 6 days ago, and around 3 days ago , I've suffered with a few side effects which I'm finding very uncomfortable.

Chest Pressure, Extreme Tiredness, Upper Back Pain and Indigestion.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and could help me understand this medication a little more? I understand it takes time to work but should I be feeling like this?
    These are fairly common initial SSRI side-effects and assuming you are in good health otherwise probably not something to be concerned about. However, see you GP if you have other health issues which could produce similar symptoms just to be sure.

Antidepressants (ADs) typically take 4-12 weeks to kick-in from when a therapeutic dose is first taken, 50mg for sertraline. Many need to take more than 50mg for optimum results.

ADs have no direct effect on anxiety, or depression in the way say aspirin has on a headache. They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly, and they take time to bud, grow and mature. For a more detailed explanations see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act.

Re: Sertraline Early Side Effects

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply.

I agree, I was tapered off Citalopram very quickly!

I will hold it out and see what my GP says! Thanks once again for your reply.

Thread Information