Hi everyone,

I have finally decided to try CBT, and would prefer to speak to someone in person, but I do not really know where to start.

I have had what I think is health anxiety for at least a few years now, but it has been worse over the past few months and I think changed into a more general anxiety disorder.

It has got to the point where, when I am falling asleep, I will jerk awake then spend most of the night awake with a pounding heart and knotted stomach. After finally getting a couple of hours sleep, I will wake up feeling rotten, and so the whole cycle will start again the next day.

I try to look after myself, exercise a few times a week (although I have high blood pressure - possibly exacerbated by anxiety) and I have tried out breathing techniques and meditation apps but find it very difficult to focus and clear my mind.

So, after trying for probably too long to deal with it myself, I have decided to try therapy before it gets even worse than it already is. Everything I have read says CBT is the most effective therapy for anxiety, so I am interested in that, and I am fortunate to have a bit of money saved and I am willing to pay to see someone privately. But I do not really know where to start when it comes to finding and choosing the right therapist. There are various long lists out there but a lot of them look quite similar.

Does anyone in the UK have any tips about how to narrow the search for a therapist and choose the right one? I really want to make sure I pick the right person to help me, especially if it ends up costing a bit of money. I am worried that if I do not find the right person I will feel like there is no alternative and no hope.

Thanks