Thread: Finding the right CBT therapist (UK)

Finding the right CBT therapist (UK)

Hi everyone,

I have finally decided to try CBT, and would prefer to speak to someone in person, but I do not really know where to start.

I have had what I think is health anxiety for at least a few years now, but it has been worse over the past few months and I think changed into a more general anxiety disorder.

It has got to the point where, when I am falling asleep, I will jerk awake then spend most of the night awake with a pounding heart and knotted stomach. After finally getting a couple of hours sleep, I will wake up feeling rotten, and so the whole cycle will start again the next day.

I try to look after myself, exercise a few times a week (although I have high blood pressure - possibly exacerbated by anxiety) and I have tried out breathing techniques and meditation apps but find it very difficult to focus and clear my mind.

So, after trying for probably too long to deal with it myself, I have decided to try therapy before it gets even worse than it already is. Everything I have read says CBT is the most effective therapy for anxiety, so I am interested in that, and I am fortunate to have a bit of money saved and I am willing to pay to see someone privately. But I do not really know where to start when it comes to finding and choosing the right therapist. There are various long lists out there but a lot of them look quite similar.

Does anyone in the UK have any tips about how to narrow the search for a therapist and choose the right one? I really want to make sure I pick the right person to help me, especially if it ends up costing a bit of money. I am worried that if I do not find the right person I will feel like there is no alternative and no hope.

Thanks

Re: Finding the right CBT therapist (UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller31 View Post
    I have tried out breathing techniques and meditation apps but find it very difficult to focus and clear my mind.
    Meditation isn't about clearing your mind, in any way. Meditation is about practising re-focussing your mind on the object of your meditation. To clear your mind you would need to be dead. This is the single most significant misconception and stumbling block for people trying to start meditation.

In terms of finding the right CBT therapist, it's really difficult to know how you will react to a particular therapist as whether one of them is 'good' or not is quite subjective. It's probably better to go into the process with a positive frame of mind rather than worrying about it not working or you not liking them. I know it's a big step, but in some respects you just have to have faith and dive in. Whatever happens you're not going to be in a worse place than you already are and therapists are quite good at helping you find the right one if you don't gel with them in particular.

Have you considered contacting your local branch of MIND? They'll probably know about people in your area.

Joe's right, by the way. Meditation didn't click for me until I realised it mostly consisted of nudging my mind back in the right direction.

Hello. Have you tried looking at the BABCP website? That should give you a list of accredited CBT therapists in your area. It's difficult to know who you might get along with best, but it's a good place to start. Some might offer an assessment first which would give you a chance to meet them and see. Word of mouth, if possible, can be very helpful too.

Thread Information