Thread: A Citalopram Diary

A Citalopram Diary

DAY ONE

I have decided to record my experience taking Citalopram for severe, debilitating, fairly long-standing anxiety. I hope this will be beneficial to other people who may be considering the same treatment.

I have resisted the temptation to try an SSRI for years, but the anxiety has been so bad this year that I would be foolish not to give this a shot. I'm also doing weekly counselling. I'm going to give the Citalopram 3 months, and if there are no positive changes by that point, I'll have to try something else.

This is day 1, and I've taken a 5mg dose. Obviously that is an extremely low dose, but the first day is always a bit scary. Tomorrow I'll go up to 10mg, and then after a week or so I'll increase to 20mg.

I expect I'll be using Diazepam quite a bit over the next couple of weeks, at least, to manage the potential increase in anxiety.

So far, a few hours after taking my first dose, I can't say I've noticed any unpleasant side effects. I did take a 5mg dose of Diazepam this morning, in anticipation of heightened anxiety. I'll be trying my very best not to pay attention to the expected side-effects.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

waldenpo

Re: A Citalopram Diary

Hey!

Please don't assume that you'll have to deal with increased anxiety as a side effect of citalopram. I was in a really bad place when I started on 10mg and I can honestly say I never had any additional anxiety at all - just a day or so of feeling groggy and a week or minor nausea. I'm not saying this is what everybody experiences, but it can certainly happen.

Re: A Citalopram Diary

Quote Originally Posted by Waldenpond View Post
    I expect I'll be using Diazepam quite a bit over the next couple of weeks, at least, to manage the potential increase in anxiety.
    One of the many problems of anxious minds is that they are very adept at producing our worst nightmares if given half a chance. Convince yourself you will suffer greatly from a side-effect and your mind may well deliver the full catastrophe for you in widescreen Technicolor with full Dolby surround.

I did take a 5mg dose of Diazepam this morning, in anticipation of heightened anxiety.
    By all means use the diazepam if you need to, but try not to routinely take it just in case as the benzodiazepines can inhibit antidepressant effectiveness. Also, if you've never taken diazepam before then half a 5mg tablet might deliver enough relief.

I'll be trying my very best not to pay attention to the expected side-effects.
    Yes, this! Keep busy and focussed on others matters and not on any side-effects. Diversion can be a very useful tool.

Thread Information