Thread: Scared of my microwave

Scared of my microwave

Hey everyone.. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, so I'm sorry. But I've been having nonstop panic attacks over this for a while now. My husband is kind of a cheapskate and refuses to replace our microwave even though it has been broken for close to six months now. The door is loose and there is a crack in the top that leaves a gap. He told me it was fine and I never thought much of this until recently when I saw a warning that said not to use a microwave with a faulty door. We've been using it like this for so long now and I told my sister today while I was complaining about needing a new one and she basically convinced me I would die of cancer in my 30s. Does anyone here have any knowledge of appliances and if I'm in danger where do I even go to address it? Like what can a doctor even do? I'm having trouble doing anything now without freaking out about this, and my husband is STILL using this microwave despite my anxiety. If something is wrong the damage is certainly already done. I'm so upset.

Re: Scared of my microwave

Microwaves are so cheap now so why not just throw it out and get a new one then you won't have the worry.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

We're finally buying a new one today, thank goodness. Still concerned about the effects of the past six months, but I guess there's not really much I can do.

Microwave energy does not cause cancer. Worst case scenario is that direct exposure would cause internal and external burns. There is no way you would stand still whilst being exposed to microwave radiation. The pain would be unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Microwave energy does not cause cancer. Worst case scenario is that direct exposure would cause internal and external burns. There is no way you would stand still whilst being exposed to microwave radiation. The pain would be unbearable.
    Yes, you'd get burned if exposed.

Thread Information