Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: hugs

Re: hugs

I think with all these alternative therapies if they bring comfort and relief then all well and good. I wouldn't pay anyone for EFT but it's a distraction and if it helps people then it doesn't matter if there's no medical back up for it. Bubble wrap popping helps both my children..pulling teeth out "helped" my son but obviously that was a tad extreme!! I suppose it's all about trying to concentrate on another activity and not being overwhelmed by negative thoughts but this is far from easy when you're severely under the cosh mentally of course.

You don't need a therapist for EFT. A therapist may explain or hand you a leaflet showing diagrams on what to do, but you can easily get this from a YouTube video. It's easy to remember and to a certain extent its prodding your body so it's a form of waking yourself up from things that are not reality. It can take as little as a few minutes to as long as you want and as many times as you want.
    I use it a lot when I start to lose control.
    It is not harmful and you can use this tool anywhere. xx

It's a bit like mindfulness then, I suppose. Something to slow the mind down as you concentrate on the exercise. Free and easy to apply!

Sometimes simple things are the best. I'm not a great fan of scientific explanations-just things that work!

Thanks, Carnation xx

It's very easy to learn and use. It would be easily learned from online resources of a book as Carnation says. I know less about it than Carnation but creating set up statements and working through a routine of where you tap and why seems like a quicker to learn process. And to be honest he's probably not going to have much concentration right now with his mind do learning big stuff is probably not what he needs.

I think it's likely easier to learn than meditation since you don't just sit there and worry if you are doing it right. You can see if you are following instructions as opposed to trying to understand how something feels in your body. The outward nature of the tapping and feeling it are going to be a bit more concrete than visualising your breathing to start meditation.

If it upsets him, you can just stop and never do it again. Totally in your control and (Carnation will gave to advice more on this) it could be entered into using shorter periods or less areas of the body to get him comfortable with it if new stuff is triggering.

I think he would like the feel of the tapping so we will give it a go. i will suggest just limiting it to a couple of areas though to make things simple.

Thank you both very much xx

Pulisa, the tapping points are....
    The forehead - above the nose and in between the eyebrows - use your middle finger for this one
    On the cheekbones - directly underneath the eyes - use 3 fingers for this one tapping both sides.
    Above the lip directly underneath the nose - use middle finger for this one
    The chin - in the centre directly under the lips
    The breastbone - just underneath on both sides - use 3 fingers and tap both sides at once.
    The sides of the hands, pinky finger side and using the same area on the other, strike a chopping affect on the side. (I would start with this one first as it's easy and less conspicuous to do.

You do have to accompany all these actions with words either spoken or by thought and they have to be positive.
    For example...
    "I'm ok, no harm will come to me"
    "I am safe"
    "I am in Control"
    "I will be ok"
    "Any bad feeling will pass"
    "I am well and safe"
    "I am calm"
    "nothing bad will happen to me"

You get the idea and people tailor what they say to suit their needs. And it works!
    Let me know if you need any more info. xx

Thanks so much, Carnation. Will pass on this info and have a go myself! xx

Sometimes it will make you cry or feel tired after, but that is good because it is letting out the frustration and you are doing it properly.
    Good to have a drink at the ready too, non alcoholic of course to replenish your liquids. xx

I actually really enjoy tapping! I use it as a type of self comfort during hard times x it can be a little hard to get into (I found that personal) but it's well worth the try xx

My son has got to have an echocardiogram as his ECG showed some abnormalities and he has tachycardia. He does have a hole in the heart anyway but the high dose venlafaxine could be making things worse.

Not looking forward to the prospect of having to get him off 300mg ven but mustn't get too far ahead of myself. They will compare the latest test to the previous echo done 2 years ago. Personally I don't think the ven has done anything and he'd be better off without it but what do I know? It's hard to see him as he is now but I think long term therapy will help. I really feel for my daughter who has no help but we are planning some things to do together later on this year.

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information