Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last hurdle

Last hurdle

So, I've made alot of progress with my heath anxiety. I no longer google or run to the doctors every day of the week. I feel like I'm getting somewhere, like I'm nearly breaking the wheel but I'm still struggling with one thing- heart. Mainly heart rate. I always had a slightly higher heart rate (in the 80's to 90's.) yet at my worst points it can jump up to anywhere between 175-190 bpm. I had quite a had rush of anxiety today and I went to the pharmacy today to get it checked. They said my blood pressure was text book perfect. My heart rate was about 130 when I went in and she took it a few times before it came down to about 102 bpm.

My Doctor has taken my pulse before, said everything fine- yet when I get that thudding feeling. I can't control it, it sets me off. Yet I am better at coming around and somewhat enjoying my day afterwards- not in a total look out in total fear anymore. Yet it seems to hit me in alot of places, public, at home- trying to sleep. It starts rattling in my chest and my limbs go super weak....it always feels like the end of everything. I also tend to wake up with like numb limbs and a super racing heart. This really sets me off for the rest of the day. I'm also having issues with pain my left arm (mainly in the wrist and fingers are)

Yet with this fear, I've been managing to get out more. In the last month I've only missed one social outing I was invited too over HA. Which I'm very proud of, I used to hide away and refuse to go anywhere. Sometimes I feel like my body feels so sick and I feel so distance, I'm getting better at grounding myself. Yet today I had a bad moment I'm feeling more in control.

Anyway, the point of this post was to ask people if they had any natural things to help? My gp doesn't want to put me on meds which is understanding as I'm only 23 years old. Like I try breathing but I wondering if anyone has another tips xxx

Thank you for reading x
    Last edited by SarahNah; 01-11-19 at 21:34.

Re: Last hurdle

I did have tests for my heart in 2018 and I feel like I've had so many issues with the heart I would be able to get over it fully but it's the last step

I wish I could help more a Sarah, you’re doing SO well.

I don’t really have the same anxieties as you, but I used to find that the act of pausing and concentrating on something else helped. I think it’s very like mindfulness really. I used to suck on a polo, or take some Bach’s rescue remedy. Often those things would refocus my mind enough that I forgot the panic x

The only thing I can suggest is to find a way or ways to distract yourself from checking/self testing. It's quite apparent you're doing so obsessively otherwise, how would you know your heart rate? Just as a comparison, and granted I'm not a sufferer, the last time I checked my heart rate or BP was over a month ago and I have real heart issues! I'm actually supposed to do it more per my doctor but ehhh.... I feel Ok so.....

Your physical reaction to the scenarios you mentioned is anxiety, pure and simple and you know full well, anxiety increases heart rate. Keep in mind my campfire analogy. You've done well and stopped a five alarm fire but there's still a a lot of hot spots that will take time and work to put out. So if you have a monitor or are using a fitbit type device, ditch it. There's no medical reason you need to be checking anyway. And like I said, find some distractions to help you quell the impulse and urge.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I wish I could help more a Sarah, you’re doing SO well.

I don’t really have the same anxieties as you, but I used to find that the act of pausing and concentrating on something else helped. I think it’s very like mindfulness really. I used to suck on a polo, or take some Bach’s rescue remedy. Often those things would refocus my mind enough that I forgot the panic x
    Aw Scass! You've done so much to help! You've always had such kind words and support for me and I'm so thankfully for that xx

I'm trying to move on with it, just sit and breath because sometimes you want to move and get away from the feeling- of course that's going to make it even worse! Thank you for the advice, I'll give it ago xx

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    The only thing I can suggest is to find a way or ways to distract yourself from checking/self testing. It's quite apparent you're doing so obsessively otherwise, how would you know your heart rate? Just as a comparison, and granted I'm not a sufferer, the last time I checked my heart rate or BP was over a month ago and I have real heart issues! I'm actually supposed to do it more per my doctor but ehhh.... I feel Ok so.....

Your physical reaction to the scenarios you mentioned is anxiety, pure and simple and you know full well, anxiety increases heart rate. Keep in mind my campfire analogy. You've done well and stopped a five alarm fire but there's still a a lot of hot spots that will take time and work to put out. So if you have a monitor or are using a fitbit type device, ditch it. There's no medical reason you need to be checking anyway. And like I said, find some distractions to help you quell the impulse and urge.

Positive thoughts
    I agree with the obsessively, like it was suggested to me to maybe by a monitor to help me cope to know its fine but I knew I would spend all day and night sitting there taking it over and over. I'm trained in taking pulse rates as part of my job (I work with older people in a care home, so we all have to know certain care details) , so I do it on myself- I'm going to try and sit on my hands. To stop myself from taking it so often! I know my blood pressure by going a pharmacy and having them check it as in the past it would have calmed me and I'd move on but it's a bit dragged out this time.

You're right about it being a reaction, it's like for example a few minutes ago I thought my chest and breathing was strange- that meant it was all I could think about until I manged to use some of my breathing to get myself out of it. It's like the more attention I pay to it, the more fuel it's adding to the fire!

Thank you again, for taking the time to reply and give advice.
    Last edited by SarahNah; 02-11-19 at 01:39. Reason: Adding detail

Quote Originally Posted by SarahNah View Post
    It's like the more attention I pay to it, the more fuel it's adding to the fire!
    That's exactly what it is. Again, the campfire analogy. You're doing better but there's a hot bed of anxiety coals still burning. Your attention is more wood

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    That's exactly what it is. Again, the campfire analogy. You're doing better but there's a hot bed of anxiety coals still burning. Your attention is more wood

Positive thoughts
    You're right! Like my gp has given me xanna recently to try and help me from going into full panics. Tonight I could feel one coming on, so I took one now and I'm slightly uneasy as I'm not a fan on tables but it's all to help and grow!

The think the xanna did help abit, still kinda breathless but it seemed to be a okay reaction overall!

FMP is right, all you can do is ignore it.

Your heart is doing what it's designed to do, and has been medically assessed as working properly.

The thing to work on isn't slowing your heart rate down (as you'd then be trying to get it to do something unnatural). The thing to do is work on your perception of 'a problem'. There is no problem there, it's your mental chatter telling you there is.

What helped me was exercise. Deliberately making my heart rate go up, getting used to that and then letting it go back down again. Eventually your brain just accepts that your heart rate goes up and down, like it did before you started obsessing over it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information