Thread: Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

So guys. Some of you may remember my consistent posting around may..june and july about a VERY nasty bout of what seemed/seems like IBS after I took 3 tiny doses of Flucloaxillin (antibiotic). This ruined my Masters degree and sad to say I'm still on constant edge about what I eat as one vegetable too much or one bite of garlic and my intestines are in pieces. It all began in jan 2018 after I got what seemed like a mild tummy bug over christmas - my bm*s were never the same. Consistent d* then c* and generally horrible pain after i drank coffee.. throughout 2018 though it yoyo-ed and by september I was able to start university with no issues except for the odd pain here and there and d* once a week or so. This year has been hellish and Ive been better since finishing uni if Im honest (very stressful business) however, just when I think ive nailed it with knowing what to eat, its cramps and rushing to the bathroom. I am also a performing musician and for the last 3 weeks have took one imodium every weds morn and it seems to settle me for an entire week - fantastic in my opinion (i dont like taking meds though) and all in all, I AM lots better from the summer of everyday cramps, bad gas, etc.....
    Im 26 years old and female (WORSENS AT TOTM!) and am wondering whether its worth just sucking it up and getting a colonoscopy - my good friend whos my age had both an endo AND a colonoscopy around 4 years ago to be told he has Crohns but said he felt so much better knowing it was nothing serious. My issue is that I heard the prep SERIOUSLY messes with the urgency and some people with IBS end up 10x worse after having it done - if its a 6 month stint like this antibiotic thing did, I honestly dont know if i can cope with another hell until mid 2020.

Re: Is it worth it?

You know what I'm going say right? Just based on your post history and known IBS, I wouldn't do it. The money would be better spent on your mental health.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

double post

A colonoscopy isn't about 'sucking it up' and getting it done - imo, it's not a procedure to take lightly. I had a flex sig, and found it quite uncomfortable - others have found it a breeze though. However if you are obsessed with bowels, that itself will make the procedure feel much worse.

I don't think I've heard of anyone having post colonscopy problems - nothing long term anyway. My bowels took a few days to settle after my flex sig, and I had the full colonoscopy prep as well.

Have you been prescribed any meds for your IBS? I've been taking mebeverine on and off for a few years now, but when I went through a really bad phase of bowel issues during January and April of this year, nothing helped - the meds, immodium, probiotics. I was suffering from a myriad of weird and wonderful bowel symptoms for months, and was completely obsessed with stomach twinges, pains, bloating, stool shapes, colours, wind smells.....you get the picture. Bloods were ok, stool test ok, then finally the flex sig ok. I still get reasonably frequent IBS symptoms, mainly D, but the extreme symptoms and pain have all but gone since I was reassured my bowels were fine.

I can only assume that looking back, my symptoms were mainly down to the anxiety and stress of chronically worrying about my bowels - constantly. Back then, a bit of onion would flare my IBS (or so I thought), however these days I can eat a very spicey curry and be absolutely fine! Obviously, food is a trigger for IBS, but in my opinion, stress and anxiety is a bigger trigger.

Would you say you're overly anxious about your bowels?

Thread Information