Page 121 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1868

Thread: Various Health Fears

Re: Various Health Fears

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    So, it’s called a positive doodle diary, and it’s full of spaces to doodle, write a few positives about your day, affirmations and little bits of information about feelings and mental health. It’s aged between 6-12. It’s very cool actually, I wish they did an adults version!

She goes to bed ok, but I tend to stay with her until she’s asleep still at her request.

I kind of went back to basics, no screens for an hour before bed, a bath, the planner, reading, maybe a bit of playing, then bed where we read & chat a bit. I also made sure I was a bit stricter about bed time again as I was starting to let it slide.

With the journal I told her she could keep it secret, or talk it over with me. There’s a space where you can colour in your moods for the day, and I talked through each one she coloured in - but didn’t focus on the negative ones too much.

I think my circumstances are a bit different, because my daughter is/was getting physical symptoms too, and vomiting. I haven’t talked about it on here, but she’s having some tests to find out if it’s something physical, and I am so very anxious about it, but obviously trying not to show her.

I purposely don’t ask her about her symptoms. If they are bad enough, she will tell me or I will notice. I realised a few years ago, that if I kept asking her, I was trying to reassure myself more than her, and I don’t think it was giving her the right message either. So, I really recommend this for you too. Don’t ask her how she’s feeling too much, talk about your own experiences if you like. Above all, empathise, her feelings are real and valid (something we often forget about when talking to each other on here as adults), but also remind her that bad dreams are just dreams, they won’t come true, and she shouldn’t have the same dream again. Remind her she is safe and loved and can talk to you about anything.
    Do some things together to brighten both your moods, play some simple games, go for a walk, watch a programme together. Remind her that you and your youngest are ok, and she does not need to worry about any of you.
    Thanks Scass, that's all useful info. I found the book on Amazon and it's got loads of good reviews so will order that if my partner's happy to use it.

We have become lazy with bed times, letting kids watch tv until they go etc. It has become quite a tense time, because both girls can mess around a lot before bed. My eldest in particular just reads or plays with her toys in her bed. I can't say much, I was an awful sleeper as a child, and I remember being 9 or 10 and just sitting on my parents' landing listening to them talk downstairs wishing i didn't have to go to bed.

It's interesting you mention the vomiting. Me eldest has also had strange and random vomiting incidents over the years where she wakes up, projective vomits, then goes back to sleep. That can happen 2/3 times a night, then she wakes up in the morning fine. We haven't really figured out if it's a certain food sensitivity, or what. I've read up things about cycilical vomiting syndrome, migraines, reflux or even epilepsy. We've brought it up with the doctors a few times and they just say it's something she'll grow out of. Sorry to hear that's causing you stress and anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    Thanks Scass, that's all useful info. I found the book on Amazon and it's got loads of good reviews so will order that if my partner's happy to use it.

We have become lazy with bed times, letting kids watch tv until they go etc. It has become quite a tense time, because both girls can mess around a lot before bed. My eldest in particular just reads or plays with her toys in her bed. I can't say much, I was an awful sleeper as a child, and I remember being 9 or 10 and just sitting on my parents' landing listening to them talk downstairs wishing i didn't have to go to bed.

It's interesting you mention the vomiting. Me eldest has also had strange and random vomiting incidents over the years where she wakes up, projective vomits, then goes back to sleep. That can happen 2/3 times a night, then she wakes up in the morning fine. We haven't really figured out if it's a certain food sensitivity, or what. I've read up things about cycilical vomiting syndrome, migraines, reflux or even epilepsy. We've brought it up with the doctors a few times and they just say it's something she'll grow out of. Sorry to hear that's causing you stress and anxiety.
    Lots of things have been going on, sometimes things slide, and it’s ok, but I think you’ll find she’ll be quite receptive to a good bedtime routine at her age, as long as she’s getting some good attention from both of you. I actually really enjoy bedtimes, it’s a good time to catch up a bit.

Yes, I’ve heard of cyclical vomiting too. We just have to wait and see I suppose. I’ll let you know!

It's interesting you mention the vomiting. Me eldest has also had strange and random vomiting incidents over the years where she wakes up, projective vomits, then goes back to sleep. That can happen 2/3 times a night, then she wakes up in the morning fine. We haven't really figured out if it's a certain food sensitivity, or what. I've read up things about cycilical vomiting syndrome, migraines, reflux or even epilepsy. We've brought it up with the doctors a few times and they just say it's something she'll grow out of.
    I was always throwing up as a child. I always felt sick. In my case it was severe anxiety. Then I've retched my way through adulthood (and constantly feeling sick) and that's never changed...

Kids are weird though. Two of my lads have had asthma (requiring an inhaler) and they grew out of it. Youngest used to have constant nose bleeds and he rarely has them now..

Haven't the doctors tested your kid for food allergies or something?

Hi all, hard to believe this, I'm only just getting over the panic. But theres another complication with my younger daughter who had the hepatitis back in January.

The peadiatric consultant who she was under care with rang tonight (on a Saturday at 6.30pm). She said one of the heel prick blood tests that was done on my daughter during her illness (Late January), only came back today (apparently) and it was the one for Acylcarnitine, which was low. She wants us to do a repeat of that test before our follow up with her on the 16th of June.

I went into a massive panic, because this was a complete shock after we received the all clear back in March. Also, I can't really believe a heel prick test would take 3 months to return, makes no sense at all. Does that not mean the results of this next test won't be back before the follow up in 2 weeks?!

I've googled low acylcarnitine or deficiency briefly, and it says deficiency is usually detected by heel prick from birth along with other disorders, and often results in the death of infants and babies with low levels. I can't find any other reasons why it would be low in children and adults, and deficiencies seem to be very rare. Mild versions can be picked up in later childhood, but that;s even rarer.

The doctor said the deficiency was probably temporary due to the illness, but she needs to double check to make sure the levels are now normal, but I've been a worried mess this evening.

Why can't life just be simple.......just for once.

Maybe, I don't know. There's a different between night terrors and nightmares though. Nightmares are bad dreams, and you can't recall night terrors - it's a bit like sleepwalking. She has had a few of those episodes over the years though. But this nightmare thing is giving her sleep anxiety, and she doesn't like going to bed, even with quite a bright night light on.
    I've had nightmares (certainly) from the age of five. I couldn't sleep without lights on etc. It's very common in children.. I still have nightmares regularly but in the words of the great Jay Z, 'I got 99 problems but (schizophrenia) aint one'..

Yes I am worried about the genetic link. My partners' father also has bipolar so it's always been a concern of mine. Obviously schizophrenia is very rare, but there is a genetic link and our household hasn;t exactly been the easiest over the past year with my worries leading to arguments between me and my partner. Then my other duaghters' illness could have frightened her as well.
    I honestly think that this is your problem..

Are you or your partner bipolar? Have I missed something?

If the answer is no..

The risk is higher when a FIRST degree family member has bipolar. To your daughter, this means you, your partner, or a sibling. (or have I had a brain blip?)

I also have to argue re the 'you can't remember night terrors'...because I've had those and I do recall them.

I think that the best thing you can do for your daughter is to do your utmost to make her feel safe. This, after all, is your job as her parent. Control your stress when you're around your kids. Be mindful of your dialogue (and tone) and really try to engage with the therapy. Don't go in there with that, 'why bother?' attitude. In helping yourself, you will be helping her..

The doctor said that the deficiency was probably temporary due to the hepatitis. It makes sense that this particular blood test should be repeated before the follow up appointment in mid June. Doctors work weekends. Appointments and procedures take place over the weekend now. The consultant is being thorough, This hepatitis spike in young children has been high profile in the media (not good for your HA) so your daughter will receive excellent care and monitoring.

How could you make your life less stressful? Would it be better to focus on what the paed consultant actually said rather than rushing to do your own researching online?

I bet theres a-lot of research being done on the children who had the virus, which is probably why you were called. I know it’s kind of bringing it to a head again, but remember that your daughter is healthy and doing well. Hopefully you’re over the shock of the call today and thinking a bit more clearly.

Seriously fed up and worried again now.

My bowels have been playing up again past two days. Yesterday I went to the toilet 3/4 times, and my stomach was bloated and sore. I then panicked about it and couldnt sleep until 4am, with my heart racing the whole time and getting sweaty. I felt horribly bloated and windy all night, while also feeling sick with some heart burn. I think I may have managed a few hours sleep.

They say IBS doesnt keep you awake at night, so I'm concerned now, or the panicking did.

I REALLY need a break from these physical symptoms now because they're breaking me. Isn't it looking likely that something could be seriously wrong with all these flare ups?

Can't cope anymore, I just want to get sectioned or something and get away from life.
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 07-06-22 at 09:54.

Anyone out there?

Really can't cope with these symptoms anymore. I went for a walk through the woods with the dogs just now, and tbh, I just wanted grab a dog lead and do something terrible.

I have a consultation with Mind tomorrow morning at 10am. But these symptoms are just coming out of the blue now, without a cause and reason. Nothing stressful happened yestrerday, so why am I getting these stomach issues.

I know it won't help, but I get weird stomach issues all the time. I went through a phase where I woke up at 3am twice a week with stomach cramps and diarrhoea that was bad enough to give me the cold sweats. It passed, and I was fine.

Page 121 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171 ... LastLast

Thread Information