Page 105 of 187 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1868

Thread: Various Health Fears

Re: Various Health Fears

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    Thanks Pulisa.

No symptoms myself, all my worries have been focused on them now. I am jumping at everything to do with them these days.

I was hoping people would reply with experiences of having a child with similar symptoms which turned out to be nothing - so reassurance seeking again I suppose. No, doctors haven't suggested antipsychotics. The medications I've been offered, well one actually prescribed was citalopram and sertraline. I didn't take them, and felt bad for wasting NHS money.

I'm going to self refer to the charity county counselling service that I mentioned earlier in the thread, the waiting list is usually long, but I need to try something.
    Good for you and do it today? Make it a priority for your little girls' sake who won't appreciate the over zealous monitoring. Counselling could be a good place to start. Your local MIND could also be an option. In the meantime you have to keep things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Good for you and do it today? Make it a priority for your little girls' sake who won't appreciate the over zealous monitoring. Counselling could be a good place to start. Your local MIND could also be an option. In the meantime you have to keep things in perspective.
    E-mail sent to the county counselling service.

I haven't looked at mind before, are they free? (Not trying to be a cheapskate, just money is tight these days)

I approached my partner about taking our daughter to the doctors, just incase, and she flipped out over it. I did remind her that I was right about our youngest when she was becoming ill with a liver infection / virus etc, so there is reason to worry sometimes.

Yes there is but you can't use the doctor's as a "just in case" mechanism and you will both know if there is a real reason to worry, not one which is fuelled by mumsnet et al.

It's hard when your child has been in hospital and you worry about the next illness/bug. You know about my son and his congenital abnormalities and my daughter also nearly died of septicaemia from pneumonia at 4 weeks of age. I was terrified about the next respiratory bug but in fact she just had a normal cold and has never ever had a repeat episode. You can't keep them safe from every illness but you can be alert to symptoms that matter and are red flags. You won't need to "look up" those symptoms, nor will you have the time or inclination.

Yes..MIND is free. Well done for taking that important first step re the counselling service.

Thanks Pulisa, and yeah I know you've been through a lot so I know that maybe stuff I say may sound trivial.

Nothing back from the counselling yet, but I know they take time.

Daughter is a bit constipated, so I'm dreading tonight. I pray that she's not going to be sick again, I can't handle that stress and worry again.
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 04-04-22 at 20:55.

Everything is relative and I quickly became used to really complex problems becoming and staying routine for me. I don't think what you're saying is trivial. It causes you untold distress but there are ways to help yourself and you just HAVE to stop yourself from rushing to the internet to "explore" every single health issue which alarms you. It's completely counterproductive and you don't have the medical knowledge to sift out the shite from the more likely probability which rarely gets an airing on a lot of these dubious "medical" sites.

I hope you get an acknowledgement from the counselling site soon. Coming to terms with the shock of your dad's death is a very slow process if indeed you can ever come to terms with losing a parent suddenly. It will have a significant knock on effect on your HA which is why I think CBT may be too clinical an approach for you at this stage? I think you need to get some of your anger out and talk about your dad and how important he was to you?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    Thanks Nora.

The problem is that I've read on mumsnet where two people have said their child or a friend has been diagnosed with a brain tumour after only presenting with vomiting only, night times or mornings.
    Whotcha reading that crap for?

Actually, it can be good for a laugh can Mumsnet...

"He has eaten a fatball"

"My kid's dad fed them badger"

"Penetration man"

And this one..

"There is a tiny elderly Korean in my back garden and I want to go out"

If you're going to read anything on that forum, read those!

I'd argue that just because a friend or a parent says that there was 'no other symptom'- doesn't make it the truth. Doctors deal in proof - scans and tests.

Where's your proof that your daughter has a brain tumour?

This is you projecting your fear onto your daughter.

Ok so you want the reassurance of similar stories where it turned out to be nothing?

I have one. My son had symptoms of a brain tumour and was having constant nosebleeds (at home and at school) headaches, and he was falling asleep in class.

He went for a brain scan.

He didn't have a brain tumour.

He had enlarged adenoids - which accounted for the headaches & tiredness - and the bleeds they suggested was due to him picking his nose, as most kids do - I realised they were right when I happened to walk past his bedroom one night to see him knuckles deep up his nose!

Does this help? If it does, it won't be for long because your HA mind wants to you seek out those scare stories and the internet WILL oblige.

Seriously though. Mumsnet? You'll be reading Chat mag next Mr Lurcher.

Thanks for the replies.

Counselling have replied to say for me to ring the helpline to arrange getting the forms sent out by post. I thought they may have modernised things by now!

Yeah I don't think I need CBT specifically now, but I do need to talk things through about my dad, and you're right, there is a lot of anger and frustration.

The only reason I went on mumsnet is because I know there may be parents on there who've experienced similar things, and could hopefully provide me with some reassurance. But obviously it was counter productive as I read the things about brain tumours.

The anxiety is something I need to address at some point soon as well, especially as I'm projecting a lot on my children.

Yesterday and today I've been spent pretty much the whole day paralysed with fear, and unable to concentrate on work at all. My daughter has gone to school today, as she was fine last night, but I'm on edge waiting for a phone call from the school saying she's been sick.

And i know this is going to sound mad, but I lay next to her bed last night until 2am because I was worried about her vomiting again.

I'm really pleased that she didn't.

You're paralysed with fear because you needed to read about brain tumours in children. Can you see how harmful this is for your mental health? Can you just try to recognise the trigger and ask yourself what good will come out of this when you next find yourself wanting to "research" another scary diagnosis? Because what good DOES come out of it for you? There must be something?

It’s horrible to see your children Ill, I do understand the fear.
    I have heard of children who have had similar to your daughter - been ok in the day but vomited at night. I suspect it’s a bug or a food sensitivity and she’ll be ok in a few days.

Page 105 of 187 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast

Thread Information