Thread: Does Paxil/Seroxat/Paroxetine really cause weight gain for everyone? And why?

Does Paxil/Seroxat/Paroxetine really cause weight gain for everyone? And why?

Hi all

I've just started on 20mg of Paxil for severe anxiety and health anxiety, and so far so good.

Only worry I have is the weight gain.

Does it:

A) Cause weight gain in everybody?

B) Cause weight gain by lowering your metabolism?

I've spent the last 2 years losing weight, and I really don't want to put it all back on again. Has anyone been on it and lost weight/not gained weight?

Thanks in advance
    C x

Re: Does Paxil/Seroxat/Paroxetine really cause weight gain for everyone? And why?

Quote Originally Posted by alcopop View Post
    Only worry I have is the weight gain.

Does it:

A) Cause weight gain in everybody?
    I need to preface the following by noting that the only certainty with antidepressants (ADs) is that nothing is ever certain. Everyone's experience with an AD is unique to them.

Paroxetine seems to be the SSRI most prone to causing weight gain, although the margin between them isn't that great. However, this does not mean that everyone who takes it will stack on the kilos/pounds. Some do, most remain at around the same weight and some lose a little.

B) Cause weight gain by lowering your metabolism?
    There are several hypotheses to why ADs cause weight gain, but few definitive answers, however, affecting metabolism is certainly one of them, possibly mediated by, among other factors, how ADs affect the enteric nervous system (ENS), the mini brain which controls the gut and the influence they could have on the gut biome. The ENS is by far the most serotonergic organ of the body, making about 95% of the serotonin produced compared to less than 2% for the brain, so it can be more affected by serotonergic ADs than the brain is. It is known that the gut bacteria mix can affect weight and the mix of gut flora may change due the the impact of ADs. Another factor seems to be that people simply enjoy eating more when they are no longer anxious and/or depressed.

Re: Does Paxil/Seroxat/Paroxetine really cause weight gain for everyone? And why?

SSRI's make me so nauseated at times that I don't eat. Then other times I can eat like a god damn horse - especially if it's junk food. I've never noticed significant weight gain on SSRI's, but my partner is on one and she put on 2 stone over the year but is now at a level weight. She's got cuddles They're cute, and she looks well in herself now.

I second what down under said.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    SSRI's make me so nauseated at times that I don't eat.
    Ginger and/or vitamin B6 supplements should help. B6 is often recommended for 'morning sickness' in pregnancy.

Thread Information