Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help - blood test result is bad

Re: Please help - blood test result is bad

I also just found out that my kids had the nasal flu spray at school today and it is a live vaccine that sheds for two weeks so I am now worried that as I have no immune system I am going to catch flu from it and my white cells will go even lower, if I had realised it was this week I would not have let them have it.

From public health England....

Read it in full, but notably these parts...

Healthcare workers administering LAIV may,theoretically,be exposed to the vaccine virus if it is accidentally released outside of the child’s nose. In the US,where there has been extensive use of the vaccine over many years, no transmission of the vaccine virus to healthcare workers has been reported to date.Health care workers who are immunocompromised and those who are pregnant can safely administer the vaccine. As a precautionary measure, however, very severely immunocompromised healthcare workers should not administer LAIV.

Shedding of vaccine virusAlthough vaccinated children are known to shed virus a few days after vaccination, the vaccine virus that is shed is less able to spread from person to person than the natural infection. The amount of virus shed is normally below the levels needed to pass on infection (transmit) to others and the virus does not survive for long outside of the body. This is in contrast to natural flu infection, which spreads easily during the flu season. In schools using vaccine, therefore, the overall risk of influenza transmission is massively reduced by having a large number of children vaccinated. Despite the overall low risk of transmission, some parents of children with immune problems have been concerned about their child being exposed to vaccinated children in the two weeks following vaccination. In the US, where there has been extensive use of LAIV for many years, serious illness amongst immunocompromised contacts who are inadvertently exposed to vaccine virus has never been observed. Expert doctors at Great OrmondStreet Hospital, who deal with many children with very serious immune problems, do not recommend keeping such children off school purely because of vaccination.

Thank you Carys. I don't know how you all put up with me. I truly hate feeling this way. I feel like I'm standing in traffic and being hit by one car after another with these thoughts.

Pay me back then, by doing the highlighting !

(By the way severely immunocompromised won't be you lol)

Deal!

I think meds can help but I don't think they are a "cure" for long term anxiety, though that's just my opinion. That said, I do think they can help lower your anxiety to a point which makes it easier to deal with. I completely understand the therapy rut and it's difficult to get out of, especially when you know and feel comfortable with the therapist. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a review session to see what you both think.
    Do try what Carys has suggested. It might really help you to get through where you're at with this worry. As for the flu vaccine, I'd think it's highly unlikely you'll catch anything - I just had a read about it and apparently there is no evidence to suggest others can catch flu from it, though it suggests kids in a household with someone severely immunocompromised shouldn't have it. The example they give is bone marrow transplant patients, so...severe, not someone who's a bit run down after a viral infection. It's always wise to take sensible precautions like regular hand washing, but really don't worry about it.

We've been reading the same document Carys, but you were quicker than me

See Cattia - This is how applying rational thought to it works :

You said at the top of this page that your children had the live nasal spray and it was shed for 2 weeks, therefore you were at risk. My first thought was - but hold on a minute, what about all those people they will come into contact with over 2 weeks ? Many won't be vaccinated, some could be elderly, young, pregnant or ill themselves etc. So, how would it be allowed/sensible to give a live vaccine that could infect other at-risk people, that would surely be dangerous ?

You have to stop - and think of the other side of this - imagine you are debating with yourself and give the alternative perspective. Think of any situation having two sides to the story. Your side is a biased side, an extreme that has been built for years and years based on fear and falsehoods. So, you have to try and learn to give yourself the information from the other side (which is what swan also did, following the same path as I did mentally). That is why I want you to darned highlight to give the other side to counteract your catastrophic side of the story ! LOL

We've been reading the same document Carys, but you were quicker than me
    Last edited by Carys; 11-11-19 at 20:44.

I just spoke to my Dr (my own Dr not the one I saw last week) because my anxiety is so so bad again today. He said he understood it would be an anxious wait which had just made me feel worse. He said it will probably be fine and he expects that my white cell count will have gone back up but he definitely didn't reassure me that I don't have lymphoma or leukaemia like the other Dr did. I feel even worse now if that's possible. He said I can go in on Monday afternoon and have the bloods done again and he will call me on Tuesday. I feel like I'm going to die from anxiety. I know you've all tried really hard to help me but right now I feel beyond help and so so horrible. I don't honestly know how to make it through next week or what I will do if the results don't change, plus I feel so exhausted and weak now because I am so stressed. I'm sorry to keep doing this I really am. He offered me diazapan or something like that but I don't think it will help as all I want is to know if I'm OK or not.

From what I've heard, diazepam is actually really good in these sorts of scenarios.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information