Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definite breast lump

Definite breast lump

I’m at my wits end here, I wish I could stop all the years of panicking about my breasts. I’m 24, and during my OCD checking for breast lumps (which I’d say I do every day) for the last month or so I’ve noticed a part of the breast tissue in my left one that really stands out. It feels very ovular and rubbery, and the fact that it’s been there for weeks now means that it’s definitely not related to my menstrual cycle. I finally plucked up the courage to book a doctors appointment tomorrow, but I’m terrified that I’ll be referred to a breast clinic. In Ireland it can take weeks to be given an appointment at these clinics (so I’ve heard), and I don’t want this torment to be dragged on that long. I feel totally alone as my parents want absolutely nothing else to do with my health anxiety, and get angry every time I bring it up, so I can’t talk to my mom about this. Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I know the majority of these breast issues end up being nothing, but yet there’s never a short supply of girls my age in the media talking about their breast cancer diagnoses. If someone could give some advice, that’d be great :(

Re: Definite breast lump

I'm sure Carys will be along soon, but in the meantime, remember that over 80% of breast lumps are benign. If you're saying that it's oval and rubbery, as far as I know this would also indicate that it's much less likely to be malignant.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve pushed my appointment to Monday as I’m psyching myself up about it so much :/

It’s very rare for 24 year olds to get breast cancer, not impossible but odds are on your side. My friend has several large lumps in her breasts and all have been benign. I believe she started to develop them in her twenties. Some times these things can run in families. I’m not an expert though and as blue iris says hopefully Cary’s will see this and be able to offer words of advice as she’s extremely knowledgeable in this field.

Just want to send love about the parents getting sngry thing. It’s hard for our families to see us spending so much time panicking about our health but when we get an actual symptom that could be something serious it’s hard to stay rational and not spiral. I know I irritate people by how much I panic and that leaves me feeling very alone. People on here understand x

Hey! (Kind words from the others above, thanks)

Well, they've already said a few of the things I would say. Firstly the chances of a BC diagnosis in your age group would be extremely rare, not impossible, but the older you are the higher your risk - with the majority diagnosed in the 50 plus age group. I don't know the recent stats off the top of my head, but it is in the range of one case in your age group per 100,000 people. So, that obviously makes it very very rare for starters - and therefore I'm sure there aren't 'many women of your age' coming forward with BC. Also, in your age range there are some different and less common BC forms (not going into this here) which would be more usual, that bring with them a range of more aggressive symptoms which you've not mentioned.

You said yourself that you've had years panicking about your breasts, and are checking every day, this is actually a higher risk activity than not checking. You will probably realise why they say to only check once a month, max, and that is because you are checking for changes from the norm. You simply can't be aware of changes from the norm as you won't realise anything different from your base-line, as your base-line is being reset each day. YOu can also actually cause inflammed areas by over checking, so can create issues that weren't even there before. You also need to make sure that your monthly check is done properly based on the advice given by medics - it is easily looked up with a google search, but involves lying down, using the flats of three fingers and using a certain motion). At your age, infact all through life, breast tissue changes for a variety of reasons, and even for those women who are much older than you the vast majority of breast referalls to clinics (incidentally, they are breast clinics not breast cancer clinics - notice that subtle difference in wording!) find there are benign causes for the tissue changes. There are a large range of benign conditions that exist, which I won't list here but they are so common that infact there is even a set of forum pages on breastcancercare.org just devoted to them. There is another member on here, I hope she won't mind me putting her name up - Herbie73 - who has had years and years of breast fears like you. I and others have written lots of advice to her, so it really might be worth reading her threads (particularly the more recent ones as I go into much more detail there about checking and so on). If you do a search on the site you will find that there are loads and loads of threads about BC fears, it is a common one. ;o)

So, with all of the above in mind, lets look at this 'oval and rubbery' issue. Oval and rubbery certainly doesn't sound concerning particularly with no other noted changes or symptoms, please do remember that breast tissue is full of lumps bumps, fat, glands and all sorts of gubbins - its not simply a bag of jelly. So, in different positions, particuarly standing up, you can feel things that are just normal internal tissues that can feel a bit 'lump like'. If the oval and rubbery thing changes in different positions and moves easily, then the chances are it is more than likely just part of normal you. Of course it is hard to know if its 'normal you' as you are checking so often and so fixated on finding something, that your perspective has been lost on this some time ago. I would say - yes, go to your doctor appointment - because if they say all is well and there is nothing to be concerned about then you need to take this as your 'starting from fresh/baseline' position. Stop daily checking, it will achieve nothing, and put you at more risk. In the unlikely situation that they do refer you (I was referred myself at 28, benign!) then it would still be highly likely that there is nothing there of concern. The reason for breast awareness is so that malignant conditions are caught early and can be treated, so of course for the rest of your life you do need to still be breast aware but not breast obsessed ;o) If you do get a referral then we will be here to talk to and support you, but even a referral doesn't mean you should jump to BC given that stats are so massively on your side.

A good GP should be able to tell immediately if something needs urgent or non-urgent referral, or needs no referral at all. I think you should also talk to them there about your fears, ask questions of the GP at your appointment as they are best placed to really help you. Ask any more questions you like, and we will try and answer as best we can.
    Last edited by Carys; 07-11-19 at 16:20.

Thanks for all of your wonderful replies, it’s really helped to put things into perspective x

Also, Jinja, I looked back at your threads since 2017 and as they are all breast or period related and show major obsessive fears about normal body conditions - I would say that you really need to address them properly after your doctor visit.

Your prime age for a fibroadenoma as well hun, I had one and it was moveable and rubbery Ish - it’s just a benign lump they usually leave alone unless it gets over a huge size then they might remove it, mine is 19mm apparently and came apparent in pregnancy as I had a surge of hormones - please don’t worry, remember as well you only see worst case scenario on google and in the media xx

Oh also as someone who got obsessed over BC as well I’d get past this blip and then I’d lower your checking gradually, maybe to once a week then once every 2 and eventually once a month - you can get loads of cool apps that give you reminders to do it, it’s vital to check but if you check every day you won’t stop obsessing! I got to the point where I was so confused what was normal and wasn’t and what to look for and I was checking every 2 mins and worrying about my bloody ribs thinking boys of them were lumps!

Hi there, just to let you know I've been going through the same issues as you for the last 5 years, I've recently had a bit of a flare up but it has calmed down now if you need to talk I am here I know how scary it can feel, please don't hesitate to contact me herbie73 xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information