Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline prescribed

Sertraline prescribed

Yesterday my doctor prescribed me sertraline, I have had this drug in 2016 and prior to that in 2010. My worsening anxiety symptoms and paranoia are relating to my heart, fast heart rate, poisoning my system, putting things in my body I can’t get out, allergic reactions etc!

I agreed with the gp to try 25mg of sertraline the normal dose is 50mg I’m scared to try it, part of me knows I’ve had it before the other part of me is scared I’ve got a newly developed heart problem and therefore it will kill me.

Can someone please advise if I should shut up and try it or go back to my doctor and ask for more information. This morning my pulse is 72 which I’m happy about.
    Can it increase your blood pressure too? If I take it I want to take it in the morning but now I’m worried I’m going to miss the opportunity because of my fear of taking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Sertraline prescribed

Just give it a go. You've been fine on it before, and constant checking of your pulse and blood pressure will only stress you out more.

I’m crying I don’t know I’m too scared I’m so scared. I was ok yesterday but now I’ve worked myself into a frenzy about it

Get a glass of water and just swallow the tablet. It'll be okay - if nothing else, it has to be worth trying something to stop you feeling so awful.

Hey Missy

ADs doesnt raise your blood pressure. Other shit does. If for any reason one day you find yous got high blood, there is tons of cheap effective meds out there with minimum side effect. I'm on calcium channel blockers coz hypertension runs in family.

You'll be fine just do as Blue say and take the pills

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixess View Post
    I agreed with the gp to try 25mg of sertraline the normal dose is 50mg I’m scared to try it, part of me knows I’ve had it before the other part of me is scared I’ve got a newly developed heart problem and therefore it will kill me.
    Anxiety/stress is a far bigger risk to your heart than any SSRI. They are commonly prescribed to treat the depression many heart attack and ischaemic stroke survivors develop and have been shown to aid survival. The SSRI of choice for this is sertraline according to the NHS (DOCX) - let me know if you can't read DOCx files and I'll upload it in PDF format.

Can it increase your blood pressure too?
    No. SSRIs have little if any impact on BP (or heart rate), however, anxiety about taking them may. The other thing to know is SSRIs are mild anticoagulants which may reduce the risk of heart attacks and ischaemic strokes (but slightly increase the risk of the must less common haemorrhagic stroke).

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Anxiety/stress is a far bigger risk to your heart than any SSRI. They are commonly prescribed to treat the depression many heart attack and ischaemic stroke survivors develop and have been shown to aid survival. The SSRI of choice for this is sertraline according to the NHS (DOCX) - let me know if you can't read DOCx files and I'll upload it in PDF format.

No. SSRIs have little if any impact on BP (or heart rate), however, anxiety about taking them may. The other thing to know is SSRIs are mild anticoagulants which may reduce the risk of heart attacks and ischaemic strokes (but slightly increase the risk of the must less common haemorrhagic stroke).
    The link hasn’t worked but thank you for the advice

Perhaps in future discuss any worries with your GP? It's not unreasonable to want to understand the risks of a medicine and such before you take it.
    If it's any comfort, I was on it for yeeeears with no problems, even while pregnant (when BP goes up).

I did have a discussion when I was there and also I convinced myself I would be ok just this morning my head got the better of me I’ll try tomorrow. Thank you for your experience it helps to hear this

It's actually the safest SSRI to take while pregnant, and they're constantly checking blood pressure and such and telling you to avoid things that increase BP but they never once told me to drop my dosage or stop taking of sertraline. Good luck! Well done for reaching out there's always tomorrow x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information